2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

stumped with ac

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stumped with ac

so I'm having a problem with the AC in my 96, the system doesn't leak and holds freon just fine but ever since I replaced the HVAC control panel it will randomly not turn prime instance everything has been running just fine for weeks and it definitely ices out the car but today I go to dinner I stop, park get in after dinner and the compressor won't kick on. So I get home throw the gauge set on it and its showing a proper level on the high and low sides but the compressor is not coming on at all...I tried jumping the low pressure switch and nada I am completely stumped I know it might be a high pressure switch problem but I'm thinking its in the hvac panel that I just replaced since it was working fine prior to this

Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned
groundhogman is on a distinguished road

it looks like the control panel is not sending power to the compressor clutch at all, id check my connectors and wiring at the new control panels and verify 12 volts at the compressor with the ac turned on

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by groundhogman
it looks like the control panel is not sending power to the compressor clutch at all, id check my connectors and wiring at the new control panels and verify 12 volts at the compressor with the ac turned on
yeah I guess that will be my next test I mean I've put a test light to it but I should grab a multimeter

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Starting Member

So I replaced the low pressure switch and this did not correct the problem, here is the thing sometimes when I am highway driving and flip it on it works wonderfully turns right on and blows ice cold, but when I start the car turn on the air from a standstill it doesn't work and it starts working when i'm down the the road and on the gas ? does anyone have a clue ? could the clutch be bad ?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the outside temperature affect the operation when the vehicle is cold? If it works when colder outside, then the problem is likely an overcharge or possibly a faulty high pressure switch that is activating at a lower pressure than as originally designed.

The problem definitely sounds like it is high pressure cutoff related.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Starting Member

actually I figured it out the clutch airgap was off so I used a feeler gauge and clutch tightening tool and tightened down to .020" and its all good now