2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sub-Frame Bushing fell off 96 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
benstenson is on a distinguished road
Default Sub-Frame Bushing fell off 96 Blazer

I've got a 96 Blazer that was making a rusty squeaking sound whenever the vehicle bounced at all. It was coming from the front passenger side somewhere. I pulled into work the other day and the front passenger lower sub-frame bushing fell right off onto the parking lot along with the bagel-looking metal ring that must have held it on.

I picked up a Haynes manual but couldn't find anything about sub-frame bushings in it. It looks like there are three on each side of the vehicle.

I'd sure like to know what is involved in replacing all six bushings and the bolts. I should probably also check out that area for rust damage.

I haven't found anything online about it. Can anyone describe this job to me? Does it require a professional? Special tools? I'd like to do it myself if possible. I'd be glad to take pictures and all that if it helps.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
recurve is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Related post

Hi Ben,

I feel your pain.

There is a related post on this forum that talks about this:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/steeri...ushings-33239/

I just realized we got a similar problem on our '97 Blazer but I'm not comfortable separating the body from the frame so I'm getting quotes for a pro to do it.

Good luck,
-- Aaron

Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 AM
benstenson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by recurve
Hi Ben,

I feel your pain.

There is a related post on this forum that talks about this:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/steeri...ushings-33239/

I just realized we got a similar problem on our '97 Blazer but I'm not comfortable separating the body from the frame so I'm getting quotes for a pro to do it.

Good luck,
-- Aaron
After talking to a couple mechanics my friend (it was his blazer) decided not to bother with the broken bushing. We accidentally snapped a bolt on one other one, but all the other bolts came loose with a 2ft pipe extending a wrench (just testing before ordering parts). Our buddy said people in some places drive around with no mounts at all. The cab just sits there on some folks' vehicles I guess! haha. Anyway, he figured 6 out of eight wasn't too bad. The parts are real hard to find and the mechanics were talking a lot of money for getting them. A trusted local mechanic said why bother with it. I told my friend to keep an eye on tire wear, otherwise I doubt he cares about the handling.

If you do it, try not to break the bolts. If you do though, you can always redrill and rethread and then use a thicker bolt. No big deal. I think that's the worst case scenario. I would have done it myself if the parts were easier to find and if these guys hadn't said don't worry about it. I'm not an expert or anything. Hope it goes well for you either way.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Is it a 2 door or a 4 door? I believe the 4 doors have 12 bushings in total and the 2 doors have 10. You will probably be fine without a bushing or two, but if you're planning on keeping the vehicle I'd change all the bolts and bushings out. You may be opening a can of worms though, when bolts snap you have to get creative to get them out.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Lightbulb 12 bushings

Hi guys. I can confirm that a 4 door 4x4 1997 s10 blazer has 12 bushings. Each bushing is about $15 for the part. Labor to replace all is about 9 hours. I got a quote for parts and labor of $585 total.

We like the truck so we are going through with it.

Funny thing is our 1995 Blazer has no problems with its bushings. It spent it's life in Maryland. The '97 with the problems came from Arizona... maybe heat there caused the rubber bushings to rot?

-- Aaron

Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Starting Member

I'm glad you found a shop willing to do this, I feel this is money wisely spent... This job is not fun when bolts break. Make sure all 12 bushings are replaced!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Thumbs down Bushing kit not available?

Hi Everyone,

Guess what? The shop said that the aftermarket part that was going to cost $15 a piece (need 12 of them) is no longer being made. The local dealer they called quoted $640 for a bushing kit (part price only).

Could someone recommend the best place to get the subframe bushings for a 1997 Blazer 4x4? Anyone know the part number for the genuine Chevy kit? Or a part number for aftermarket?

I believe the correct aftermarket Dorman part # is 924-009. But this doesn't seem to be made anymore? Bizarre.

Appreciate any and all advice.
Thank you.
-- Aaron

Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Starting Member

Energy suspension makes a polyurethane bushing kit for around $100.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Got my es bushing kit off ebay for $60 shipped. Lmc also has bushing kits.

Blazers don't have subframes, they are full framed trucks. The correct part name is body mount bushings. Useing the correct name might help in finding the parts

Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Default $135 shipped

Hi guys,

Good to know it's called a "body mount bushing" not a "subframe bushing".

$60 sounds like a great price. Wish I had read that before I placed my order.

I got the "Energy Suspension" bushing kit from Energy Suspension Parts Dealer, Specializing in Energy Suspension Bushings Suspension Components. for $135 shipped.

It is poly-urethane and impregnated with graphite. Hopefully it will last at least another 15 years.

Thanks everyone,
-- Aaron

Quick Reply: Sub-Frame Bushing fell off 96 Blazer