2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sun Roof Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road
Question Sun Roof Repair

Has anyone had any luck with sun roof repair? If so, what would be my first step in diagnosing the cause and maybe coming to a conclusion as to what I need to do to repair it?

It is off the track (I was told by seller) and sealed with clear caulk right now.

No rush, as I have to change shocks and transmission mount this week but if someone has had experience with sun roofs, then I might be able to fix the only think left on this baby that is indeed "broken".

Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first step would be to remove all of the caulk. You can then unbolt the glass from the frame, remove it, and see if everything works. If things do not work, then you have to drop the head liner to get a gander at what may possibly be causing the issue.

Be prepared though. Any problem with a sunroof in these trucks is met with a recommendation to replace the entire mechanism. There is no documentation what so ever that I have ever found on diagnosing and repairing a problem with the sunroof aside from removal and install.

I had a problem with the sunroof in my old 2000 Bravada not retracting properly. It would vent fine, but would bind up when you would go to open it up fully. I cleaned the track and relubricated the slides. During this time, I found that there were some broken plastic guides. A meticulous adjustment of the glass made it work 99% of the time and was literally free for me to do. Anything else and it would have been $$$.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Starting Member

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and it was just a case of me not finding the repair info.

I'll see if I can get a look at the track. Maybe I'm that one percent that can get it fixed without removing the headliner.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removing silicone caulk

During restoration of my '66 Impala, it was recommended to use WD-40 to remove silicone caulk from the glass and stainless trim. It worked very well.
Good luck

Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
01ron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parts for sunroof

Here's a location for parts http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9502blazer.htm

Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cool!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Starting Member

Excellent! Good info and resources. Thanks guys.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
01wblazer is on a distinguished road

My sunroof is in the vent open possition and I had no idea what to do, now I know what I need to do. Thanxs guys!