2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Super loud noise from Front Passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
charlie beachside is on a distinguished road
Default Super loud noise from Front Passenger side?

I've had a ton of issues with my 2002 2D Blazer, and you guys have helped me through a lot of em. So I figured you could do it again..

After my radiator issue I noticed I had a few leaks around the front passenger tire. Turns out the case for my AC was cracked an just leaking a ton of condensation, as well as the overfill line from my radiator leaking there as well. I ignored it for a bit.

But now I've noticed the weird sound when I'm driving. If I tried to describe it, its like a 'Whum whum whum whum whum' . i'll try to attach a video. It's not that loud when I begin driving, but its definitely there. it gets louder and faster the faster I am driving and the second I get over about 40 mph it gets extremely loud. its gotten to the point that I'm trying not to drive over 50 mph cause i can feel the vibrations its causing. it I'm pretty sure its not the engine as the sound persists no matter the RPM. I could be coasting downhill or pushing uphill and its the same. And the sound is seemingly coming from the front passenger tire area.

The streets in my city are crap, and I've also noticed that it feels like my shocks/suspension are pretty much nonexistent. now I feel every bump and pothole, and my car is bouncing around wildly at i go over them and slower speeds.Dunno if that's another symptom of the issue, btu figured it couldn't hurt.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me like a bad wheel bearing, or possibly a cupped tire.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Ebbervonfloyd is on a distinguished road

Look for a bulge on your tire. Jack that tire up and rotate by hand. Place a board next to the rubber and watch for any bulges. Sometimes tires separate, you have seen the rubber along the road. I have came across this three times over the years.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member

So I do have uneven tread on the tire. I noticed it yesterday and took a picture looks like the inside is almost completely worn down, but I don't see any other worn areas on any other tire.. I also attached a video of the sound while driving.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3034.MOV (4.29 MB, 24 views)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by charlie beachside
So I do have uneven tread on the tire. I noticed it yesterday and took a picture looks like the inside is almost completely worn down, but I don't see any other worn areas on any other tire.. I also attached a video of the sound while driving.
Try switching that wheel with another one, like the left rear, and see if the noise moves. Also, while it's jacked up, slowly rotate the wheel to feel if the bearings are rough. You can also grab the top and bottom of it and try to wobble it. If the bearings are really bad, there will be play in it.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. I'll try this first thing tomorrow morning. I drive about 13 miles to and from work and this is really getting annoying/worrying.

A few Q's before I do this. I assume if I do this and the noise stays up front its the wheel bearings. I checked RockAuto and the bearings themselves are cheap but they also come in a bearing hub assembly. Should I buy just the bearings or the whole assembly? Are their any other parts I should be looking at?

And if it does change to my back left tire, then It's the tire itself? Honestly hoping that's it, as I can get that done easy.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran

Buy the whole assembly. And yes, you are correct about if the noise moves or not.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member
Dr. Blazer is on a distinguished road

And after getting the hub changed get a front end alignment.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member

So i went on vacation and just got back to troubleshooting this guy. I got a few jack stands so I could rotate my tires and noticed that my front tires are way out of alignment. I think i can replace the wheel bearing hub on my own, but I'm wondering if the issue is just that i need an alignment? I don't know if I should just take it in to get an alignment and see if that fixes my issue or if replacing the wheel bearing and hub may misalign my tire and I'll need another alignment. Pic attached.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran

Does it look like that all the time, or just when it's jacked up? It's normal to have a lot of negative camber as the suspension droops, but you shouldn't have it when the suspension is loaded normally.

Quick Reply: Super loud noise from Front Passenger side?