2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

tcase stuck in 4wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member
dcmaker100 is on a distinguished road
Default tcase locked

thanx for responce.2 posts back i talk about trying to turn the spline that turns the front dshaft.I took the front driveshaft out a few days ago when i switched the tcase motor and never reinstalled the frt dshaft because i wanted to see a neutral position first.the front diff did not want to engage(read old post)before but since i put in new vacume switch when i push the dash switch and it does its flashing lights and clicking tcase motor thing,i spin the front yoke by hand and it did seem to lock in.now i want to see the splined shaft turn freely,then i would reinstall the shaft.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be the encoder motor on the transfer case Mine was stuck in 4HI at the switch but the front axle didn't engage Changed the Encoder and it fixed the problem

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member
Default changed motor

thax for responce.I mentioned that i changed my encoder motor albeit w/a used part.it could still be bad.also put in a used tccm.I have put in new dash switch and new vacume switch on tcase.if i new for sure it was the encoder,i would by a new one in a second.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Beginning Member
Default tccm no codes

I tried to test for stored codes by gronding pin 13.i ran a long piece of wire from my neg post on the bat then chesked w a light/tester to the end of the wire and pos post.when the light lit i new i had a ground.is this ok to use for the ground or is one of the other pins a ground so you jumper between them.if i did it right,there are no stored codes even after i diconnected the jumper wire and pushed the dash button so it would make the clicking sound again

Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you are following this:
OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnostics

Did you turn the key on after you grounded this pin or before?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Beginning Member
Default no codes 2

thanx for your reply.I followed this link when i was doing it.I turned the key on after the pin was grounded.all 3 lights came on for a moment then went out and never flashed.1996,3 button,np 233.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member
Default diagnose frt diff

whats the best way to see if my frt diff is ok

Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of proper operation for 4wd? If you spin one of the wheels with the transfer case in 2HI and the other wheel on the ground, the driveshaft should not spin. If you then manually engage the front axle by pulling on the cable at the actuator under the battery and then spin the elevated wheel, the driveshaft should then spin. You can also do this by applying vacuum to the front axle engagement actuator.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Beginning Member
Smile 4 wheel light flashes/clicking sound

I originally posted "tcase stuck in 4 wheel" back in april.all the things i tried and all the questions i asked are in that thread.my problem was the t case itself.the light on the dash was indicating 2 hi.thats because the encoder motor was in that position.the problem was the transfer case was broken inside and the front drive shaft was always engaged as if it was in 4 wheel. i kept asking wether or not a 233 has a neutral position so that the front drive shaft does not turn under power when in 2 hi.well it does.if your light flashes when you try to shift into4 hi get under the truck and see if you can turn the frt driveshaft freely when in 2hi.if you cant dont waste your time testing and changing every part on the truck.look at the tcase first.I changed mine today after going to a pick and pull junck yard and physically crawling under blazers like mine to check the free movement of the frt d shaft in 2 hi.problem solved. thanx to the guys who took time to respond.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad to hear you got 'er fixed.

but to be truely helpful, next time post your "i've solved the problem" post in the thread that you started the problem in. it'll help out other members (both new & old) more than trying to connect the two threads.

***Note*** for those members that may be wondering about his history on this problem, you can link to it HERE.

Quick Reply: tcase stuck in 4wheel