2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Testing of 2001 NP8 Transfer Case Encoder Motor and Motor Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
On the NV236: If you don't clear the codes with a scanner after replacing the encoder, it will not shift correctly. Depending on the DTC, it might not shift at all, and you're stuck in neutral!
Good to know! I have found some instructions on using ScanXLPro in terminal mode to read and clear TCCM codes in a 2002 Trailblazer. Since I already have this software and I thought I would never use it after buying HPTuners softrware, I think I'll actually try it and make sure it works before attempting any encoder motor replacement. Maybe it will even help with my diagnosis.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=90437

oops - looks like codes for trailblazer are different from the ones in your post. So probably need to dig some more for the correct addresses to query on my Blazer - but it still may be possible if I can find them on line or figure them out myself.

Les

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The DTC's are there, C, B, & U codes, you just have to cross it over from hieroglyphics. The scan program he's using looks a real PITA. It doesn't have to be that difficult: Connect to the network, access the module you want, retrieve the DTC's, and diagnose it

Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Hi Les , Have you tried C6 FE F1 19 FF FF 00 in the terminal , this should give you a list of all possible code ( not current trouble ) that every module could ever have .....If this works look for the module between the addresses $18-$1F...the one in this bracket should be the TCCM for your truck because you now know that 1A is not the address of the TCCM. If you find it then run 6C ?? F1 19 C2 FF 00 and it should tell you the code as per the info in the link you posted. ( ?? being your TCCM address)

In the received data the 3rd byte is the address of the different modules and if you download a hexidecimal chart off of the net you can see all the address between 18 and 1F....

Having played with my friends 2000 blazer today with NP8 , I'm 99% sure that your TCCM IS at $1A and if you use the code 6C 1A F1 19 C2 FF 00
you will get your DTC just like your post read up ......and 6C 1A F1 14 will clear your code when your ready..... 2000-02 and 03 are all at $1A ....I'll bet most GM's are

Let us know if this helped you.

Last edited by Strangerock; 03-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Strangerock
Hi Les , Have you tried C6 FE F1 19 FF FF 00 in the terminal , this should give you a list of all possible code ( not current trouble ) that every module could ever have .....If this works look for the module between the addresses $18-$1F...the one in this bracket should be the TCCM for your truck because you now know that 1A is not the address of the TCCM. If you find it then run 6C ?? F1 19 C2 FF 00 and it should tell you the code as per the info in the link you posted. ( ?? being your TCCM address)

In the received data the 3rd byte is the address of the different modules and if you download a hexidecimal chart off of the net you can see all the address between 18 and 1F....

Let us know if this helped you.
Haven't tried anything yet but sounds very fun thing to do! I like learning new stuff!! Will try this weekend and report back results!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The DTC's are there, C, B, & U codes, you just have to cross it over from hieroglyphics. The scan program he's using looks a real PITA. It doesn't have to be that difficult: Connect to the network, access the module you want, retrieve the DTC's, and diagnose it
Seems I always have to do things the hard way! :-)

Old 03-07-2015, 11:48 AM

Hi Captain , on the NV233 case , can one still use a scan tool tool ? or only the jumper method ?

Old 03-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On the NV233, the TCCM is linked to the PCM, but it does not use classII serial data communication. It needs to request & receive wheel speed data from the PCM before it will command a range shift, (in and out of LOW range). It also "tells" the PCM when and if the front axle is engaged. Codes are retrieved only by jumping the pins.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info , I was wondering why I don't see an address when I query for one.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM

No address, no porch light, nobody home On your own for diagnosing.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:26 PM

LOL , thanks ...I don't have any problems to diagnose just like learning , a friend dropped by today with his 2000 blazer and I verified that I could read codes if there was any on his TCCM , he has the NP8 option , I have the NP1 and cant read via scanner.....just love learning.

Quick Reply: Testing of 2001 NP8 Transfer Case Encoder Motor and Motor Lock