2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is there a good write on converting injector system

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Got everything gathered up (I think) to finally start this little project which I hope remains just that and not a new headache. Even got my sons friend to loan me a very nice snap-on 1/4” drive in inch lbs torque wrench. He also lent me a Milwaukee cordless with some attachments to clean and prep the surfaces for new gaskets. So popped the radiator cap to find ...green??? Call me surprised, already been converted over to the standard antifreeze and not dexcool. Sweetness by my standards (not a dexcool fan, sorry) but had to go back and swap the dexcool I purchased for the green stuff. Will attempt to take some pics here and there so you all can tease my poor mechanical skills. I’m no blogger type person so don’t get your hopes up too much. Ok, off to give this job my best.
Good visual writeup to use, but need to nix the use of abrasive disks and power tools. Do you really want abrasive in your engine? Abrasive disks can ruin your aluminum manifold sealing surface in short order. If you spin a wire brush with power tools, a piece of wire can break off and end up where you don't want it. There is just no substitute for a scraper and razor blades. Also thread locker is not advisable. Just run a tap through the bolt holes, make sure the blind holes don't have junk in the bottom, and wire brush the bolt threads (those you can use a power tool on). Use white teflon (head bolt) sealer and torque the bolts correctly in sequence - then let sit and torque them again the next day. Make absolutely sure you use the FelPro metal backed intake gaskets. The nylon frame ones getting damaged by the original Dexcool formulation was the original problem (not the bolts coming loose). Good luck!

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

We good, its not wire or anything rather some rubber looking thing in orange and he said use low speed. He told me it breaks loose the material that did not scrap off without scoring the metal. Like you right off bat he mentioned aluminum and abrasive equal bad news. Gaskets came with injector kit and like I just found out, truck running the standard antifreeze not dexcool so good all the way there but hit first snag off bat. Replacement radiator in truck has a plastic wing nut thing and one bitch to get a hold of and turn...but finally got it out to drain system. Answering you while letting it drain. Took battery and tray out to give me more working room.

My sons friend is a professional mechanic so I generally go with his advice and he is my go to when issues occur this said he does not know everything and there I times I know more especially when dealing with electrical stuff. At this point more worried about just making mistakes so like the article I was shown taking my time. Personal advantage I’m basically retired and have all the time in the world so rock the summer 80’s jams on pandora and enjoy the job.

5pm: work halted due to lack of a tool. No car so passed on word to wife (who’s at work at walmart pharamacy-tech) to grab a cheap set of metric flat wrenches that have 16-19 in it. Grr. Bright side the MAF looks like new? Must’ve have been recently replaced before I got this used Blazer- I mean 1998 and over 200k on it and look at this thing-

Looks like new...dang. No real cleaning needed, I’ll be darned.

Last edited by Trukntigger; 04-04-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Additional info