2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Thinking about buying a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Beginning Member
deck101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about buying a trailer

I am thinking about buying a small utility trailer from craigs list. The posting can be found here

4 X 8 TRAILER-NEW TIRES/WHEELS & 3/4 PLYWOOD

I have never towed anything with my blazer before and had a few questions

1. Could a small trailer like this be towed with a ball hitch on the bumper or would I need to add another hitch to my truck.

2. if you tow from the bumper, what do you normally do with the wiring? I have searched the forum and read my owner's manual and found the color codes for the wiring harness that should be located under the back bumper somewhere. Would you recommend wiring them to a connector of some sort (compatible with the trailer).

3. What does the 3500lbs max trailer weight printed on the back bumper refer to? is that the maximum weight that I can tow?

4. If I do add a ball to my bumper, how is the best way to put a hole for it in the plastic on the bumper or does a section of the plastic just pop out

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

The plastic should pop up (the Silverado at work does) or there should be an indentation for the ball hitch you can punch or cut out i think. I believe the 3500 is the max you can tow off the bumper, but if it were getting up there in weight you would want a receiver hitch to make driving less worrisome. The max the truck can handle is 5000 lbs, according to the owner's manual for a 4x4 with an automatic and a 3.42 gear ratio. but again with a V6 hauling 2+ tons already, it probably wouldn't like that too much. Anyway I assume you wouldn't be hauling a great amount of weight but still. If you have the owners manual that would be a good help I think. The manual has some info on the wiring, which is what and all that

Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

1.) yes, you can tow up to 3500lbs off of the bumper; but u should inspect the current condition of it before you tow anything with it. I see that u are from Ohio, so there is a possibility that ur bumper could be rotted, i have seen a few that are rotted right through.And the blazer tows pretty well, i towed a 19ft boat a few times with mine and it barely strained the motor, even going up hills.

2.) U will probably use a 4-flat connector for a utility trailer. They can be found at most automotive stores or hardware stores for about 10 bucks. U can use crimp connectors to splice the wires together and wrap it up with electrical tape (or use heat shrink if you are so inclined). I routed mine through the hole in the bumper that is used for the spare tire thing.

4.)I just used a utility knife to cut the plastic to make clearance for the ball

Last edited by toaks1; 05-08-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey! Agree with toaks1! The rear frame of these units are very weak, in the rust belt! Do not try to pull a heavy wagon with these Blazers:They can't do it safely! I have witnessed and seen the results(not my vehicle) and it was NOT a good scene!
I really don't care what the factory says-4K is MAX! Other than that:you are on your own! Input from others requested with your experience! Thank you! step66

Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member
deck101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. The rear bumper on my truck feels solid and has no visible rust. I was not planning on pulling anything too strenuous. Most likely a riding lawnmower or some patio furniture or mulch. I amilny want it so I can haul bulky thingfs that will not fit inside my truck.

Does anyone know the license and insurance requirements for owning a trailer in Ohio?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

That is probably something you could Google search or just go down to your local police station or something and ask them.