2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

thoughts on intake gaskets (redoing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM
bassson is on a distinguished road
Default thoughts on intake gaskets (redoing)

so I'm doing my intake manifold gaskets for the second time...
I did them about a year ago, and used the good quality fel-pro gasket set. i have a cheaper set that i got on rock auto a few month back , however the fel-pros seem to be in almost new condition.

do you guys think i should reuse the fel-pro gasket or just use my new ones.

Im redoing them because i did a poor job on the rtv sealant so i had a major oil leak out of the back side shortly after instillation (im assuming)

I can see a large pool of oil under the fire wall behind where the distributor is. My other question is, is there any other components that could leak oil to that part of my engine besides the intake manifold?

-cheers

Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The distributor has a gasket at the base that could leak. The oil pressure sending unit can also leak. Don't reuse the gasket, or the el cheapo, get another Felpro MS98002T.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

I used ultra cooper between the two intake gasket's (lot's of it)(heavy duty Felro gaskets) never leaked! And what CH said about the distributor gasket and sending unit!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM
bassson is on a distinguished road

cheers guys, i appreciate. the oil pressure sending unit is behind the distributor closer to the drivers side? and what are the thought on victor reinz gaskets?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bassson
cheers guys, i appreciate. the oil pressure sending unit is behind the distributor closer to the drivers side? and what are the thought on victor reinz gaskets?

Gaskets are a lot cheaper than going back and doing it again with new gaskets the second time. They take a set and the only reusable gaskets I've ever seen are the rubber "O" ring types. Even those can be used only a couple of times. It's like the front seal on an automatic transmission. If you leave the unit in when changing an engine, replace the front seal. It's several hours aggravation for a $20 part.

On the oil leak, are you sure it isn't your remote oil filter lines leaking? I leave puddles when I idle. My Blazer does too.