2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Throttle Control Scare

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle Control Scare

Had a bit of a scare on my test run after installing my new MPFI spider. Blazer seemed to run good. Thought I noticed some improved power on the short run I took, even though I forgot to tighten the fuel lines completely. I could smell something bad, but at first assumed it was some burn off from spilled fuel and cleaners. On the interstate hwy. I stomped it down to get passing gearing and test acceleration. Just as I was enjoying what seemed to be improved performance, I realized I was still accelerating when I took my foot of the throttle. As I applied the brakes in order not to run up on the vehicle ahead of me I shifted into neutral and then back into drive. This seemed to release the acceleration mode I was in. As my exit was coming up, I was then able to slow down and drive home under control. I will not reattempt this maneuver again until i investigate this further.

So, any ideas on what to look for?

I was a little concerned that I did not get the throttle cable connections physically correct. Is that little black plastic one just a simple grooved slip on? That springy thing makes it look complicated, but it just seems to slip over the metal tab, and is held on by spring tension. Also, could the computer just need to re-sync or a code be off? I have no dash warning messages. Just one small nut left over, as I indicated in a previous "Riddle me this" thread.

Another foot of snow last night, blizzard winds, and now headed into another Polar Vortex. Don't know when I'll get another chance to road teat this again, but I hope to head to Florida next Thursday. Gotta get things in order soon.:icon

Old 02-21-2014, 02:54 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

could be just what you said, maybe a sticking cable, could try a little lube

Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
jaystoy is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me, scared the life out of me on my 94 4.3. Ended up being where the cruise control cable connects to that vacuum ball on the drivers side. Got hung up. Plus the cable wire had a fray which was causing it to hang up as well

Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Is this a Toyota? Give it a good visual inspection and manually operate the throttle, from under the hood, with the engine off.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Starting Member

I found the black plastic spring clip which holds the cable onto the metal tab had come off. I think i found out how the clip may work, and I may have it on better now. Not sure how the ribbed section is supposed to function, but I think it may be cleated or secure now. Things are so cold and stiff right now I am afraid to squeeze or put too much pressure on the plastic parts right now. Still open to more suggestions or info. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Starting Member
Default Cruise control cable clip

Shucks! The plastic clip device that holds the cruise control cable on keeps falling off. How does that C groove lock on? The plastic ribs must do something to lock down. The spring thing has me a bit baffled as well. Anyone got some ideas that may help me?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Pictures are worth a thousand words Can you post one?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Starting Member
Default Throttle Cruise control lock clip problem - again!

Hey, thought I had this on right, but it fell off again. This time it jammed my throttle control so I was at full-on acceleration for awhile. Fortunately, I had just seen the trailer for Need For Speed, so I was pretty much in contol( as long as the key worked).

Anyway, I tied the cruise control cable back, but still don't seem to know how to lock that metal control tab down on the plastic ribbed connector.

Any ideas?? I am heading to Florida from Minnesota Thursday, and it would be nice to have Cruise Control, but I don't want to die for it.

Also, having a gas smell after installing a New MPFI spider, but that will be on another thread.