2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ticking noise on 2000 blazer, just before the trans pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
marlboro124 is on a distinguished road
Question ticking noise on 2000 blazer, just before the trans pan

whats up? i own a 2000 blazer 4x4, whenever i accelerate to gain speed i hear a ticking noise just before the transmission pan, it gets a little loud but when your at a maintain speed itll stop doing it as your driving, it only does it in Drive & Reverse. It goes real crazy when in reverse. I thought it be something loose but im not sure, hopefully its nothing major, I was told there would be a round door u can get off to see where its coming from...its been doing it for a week so i decided to pull this door off and i really cant tell what it is, all i see is the flywheel and maybe a couple bolts, does anyone know whats causing it or how it can be fixed? is it gonna be expensive? its driving me crazy. can anyone help me out???

Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sure sounds like a cracked flex plate.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Beginning Member

any idea how much it would run to get it fixed? plz dont say u have to take out the engine??? its also going to a shop tomorrow morning

Last edited by marlboro124; 04-13-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: i searched the part
Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Don't have to pull the engine, buy you're gonna have to drop the tranny to get to the flex plate.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Beginning Member

oh ok sweet thanks, but from describing the problem would it be the flex plate?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:17 AM

Could be, but I don't know. Noises are wierd to track down, sometimes there not even coming from where you think they are, just bouncing around under the truck.
I had a wierd rattle a couple weeks ago, only happened in gear, with the clutch engaged, comin from what I thought was my clutch or flex plate area but could not track it down to save my life.
I was just before pulling my trans to replace the both but decided to try the U-joints first. Turns out it was my rear U-joint, sound was traveling down the driveshaft making me think it was the trans...

I would try the cheaper/ easier stuff first, like could be an exhaust leak or your U-joints before I went and dropped the trans.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member

well when i looked at the area that was coming from of the rattle, when i opened that round door it sounded like right in front of my face but i was told my u joints are going also

Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 PM

I would just do the u-joints then and see what happens, hell there only $10.99 at Advance and it's a lot easier than pulling the tranny.
If the noise still remains, then you know you gotta pull that bad boy..

EDIT:
I thought about it, you said you got under it and could hear the noise.
Could you hear the noise when it's in park?
If so, then it's not the u-joints as the drive shaft doesn't spin in park.

Last edited by DySfUnCtIoNaL; 04-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
RIFLEMAN 308 is on a distinguished road

If you can hear it while it's still in park then check the starter gear to see if it's staying stuck to the flywheel, I've found that out one time on a friends truck and it drove him crazy because he couldn't track it down and then i hunted it down with a stethoscope and traced it right to the starter, the main thing about this issue was that it would only make the racket when accelerating and also at certain rpm's foward and reverse, and when in park at a certain rpm.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

ya i can hear it but barely when its in park, so whats the next thing i should do or have the shop do? exactly what is it & any idea how much it would run roughly?

Quick Reply: ticking noise on 2000 blazer, just before the trans pan