2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Timing Cover leak - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
Klturi421 is on a distinguished road
Default Timing Cover leak - HELP!

So last weekend I replaced my timing cover among a plethora of other things. Just as of a few days ago it decided it wanted to start leaking. Well its my fault really. I tried to cheat by clipping off the lip of the timing cover rather than dropping the oil pan to install it properly. Now I am faced with correcting my mistake.

Has anyone had any success with dropping the oil pan just enough to get the proper cover installed over the gasket that is part of the oil pan?

What I am looking at doing is unbolting the motor mount and raising the engine up enough to access the bolts to the oil pan and from there attempt to pull it down enough to slide the cover on. Has anyone had any success with this method? Or am I going to have to pull the engine completely and go the long way??

Would it be possible for me to remedy what I did by just pulling the cover and applying a ton of RTV to the lip? I would rather not have to purchase a new cover if possible but I am willing to to ensure that I correct my issue.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you like pulling the timing cover. If you really don't want to do it again you might try getting a cover that has not been modified the correct gasket & follow the instructions provided in the link that pettyfog provided you.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Starting Member

Honestly I'm not a fan of it. This will be my second time at it and my last. I intend on doing it right.

Even though the Chilton manual says that the factory recommends removing engine in order to drop the pan, I should still be able to do it without by using a little persistence and patience am I right? from the looks of it it will be a bit of a challenge to get to some of the bolts but I have a feeling that if I do what I mentioned above about lifting the engine up a bit that I should in theory be able to remove the bolts enough to allow the pan a little clearance so that the new cover can slip right on.

Btw I understand that I have been a bit of a nuisance I just want to make sure I do it right this last time and clear up some of the last few problems I have....for now.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Starting Member

Alright, I got my timing cover installed. Was a b**** but did it. Now I have a leak coming from what I am guessing is the oil filter adapter. In order to reach some bolts easier I removed the oil filter and the two torque bolts that held the adapter in. I did not notice any kind of gasket or o-ring in place but now I have a leak.

Is there something that should go between the block and the adapter or do I just need to retighten the torque bolts?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here is the gasket set for the oil filter adapter:
Buy Felpro Oil Cooler Mounting Set ES 70016 at Advance Auto Parts_____

I noticed you have another thread going concerning a misfire....
Whenever the timing cover is removed, it should not be reused, it needs to be replaced. After it is replaced, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be done, then check and adjust camshaft retard. If not, the PCM will use the data from the original relearn, which is now incorrect, guaranteed. The data is used for identifying cylinder misfire, camshaft retard, injector timing and ignition timing. This might have something to do with your misfire.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Starting Member

Awesome, thanks for the link Captain, I will be getting one of those gaskets soon to fix that leak of mine.

Also in regards to the cover, I did replace the old cover with a new one. I will be trying to find someone who can do the CASE relearn, I did also find a thread somewhere mentioning that there is a way to do it through a drive cycle. I might give that a whirl before I visit someone.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The crankshaft position sensor relearn and checking/adjusting camshaft retard can ONLY be done with a capable scan tool. Performing the General Motors Driving Cycle allows all of the monitors to run and complete their tests, that's all it does.