2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trailer weight

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Beginning Member
vedur is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer weight

Hello!
I just recently bought myself a 2nd gen Blazer, and when I checked the tow ratings it said that without trailer brakes I can only tow 542 kg (1000 lbs). How can this rating be so small? My other car is a Nissan X-Trail and it is rated without trailer brakes to 750 kg (1600 lbs). With trailer brakes both can tow the same weight 2000 kg (5000 lbs). The only thing I could think of is the rear brakes on the Blazer are drum type and that the Blazer has an automatic transmission.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I just recently bought myself a small trailer thats about 1000lbs dry/empty http://www.taylorcoach.com/models.php?type=12-bobbie
My 05 2dr hauled it around no problem and stopped it no problem without the electric brakes being used
I talked to a guy in the trailer bussieness and he seemed to think you wouldnt want to go over 3000lbs with a blazer

I wonder what the difference between your two vehicles weights are

Last edited by rexazz2; 02-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

The brakes on the Blazer(and s-10s) are small for the weight of the vehicle. I would bet the X-Trail has substantially larger brakes than the Blazer.

I tow my utility trailer with a couple quads in it and it felt like it was taxing the OEM brakes.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

with my 97 i would pull my buddies trailor with his mustang to the drag strip every weekend and his can weighed about 3K itself withouht the trailor and never had any problems

Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Beginning Member

I know that the Blazer can tow quite a lot, but the problem here is with the European Type Certificate, which states that the Blazer can only tow 542 kg (1000 lbs) trailer without brakes. And this number just seems a bit too small. The trailer I have weighs 400 kg (880 lbs) empty.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

These units can pull quite a bit,but always keep in mind the trailer should never exceed the weight of the tow unit-critical in an SUV,but a non-issue in a semi. I have seen K-3000's flipped while towing! Funny that I never saw a Dodge towing larger trailers than the Chevs flipped!
Your vehicle is intentionally underated-these are not proficiant tow vehicles: they have the power but not the weight to control a 2500kg vehicle attached to its butt.
All the Best!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vedur
I know that the Blazer can tow quite a lot, but the problem here is with the European Type Certificate, which states that the Blazer can only tow 542 kg (1000 lbs) trailer without brakes. And this number just seems a bit too small. The trailer I have weighs 400 kg (880 lbs) empty.
In Canada I think even pop up tent trailers all have electric brakes on them now

Originally Posted by step66
These units can pull quite a bit,but always keep in mind the trailer should never exceed the weight of the tow unit-critical in an SUV,but a non-issue in a semi. I have seen K-3000's flipped while towing! Funny that I never saw a Dodge towing larger trailers than the Chevs flipped!
Your vehicle is intentionally underated-these are not proficiant tow vehicles: they have the power but not the weight to control a 2500kg vehicle attached to its butt.
All the Best!
The short wheel base of my 2dr blazer makes me extra cautious when towing
Another thing to concider is trying to have the trailer as level as possible when hitched to avoid the trailer from waddling and swaying
I have towed 5000lbs behind a Impala with weight bars and you know its behind you but never had issues stopping it with electric brakes getting it stopped

Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

im sure theres some legality reason behind it. so yeah if you end up hitting someone even if it isnt your fault you may get in trouble if you have a trailer hooked up.

i used to have a ranger that was recommended only to tow 1200lbs period. my trailer itself weighed 1300lbs and it towed and stopped it no problem. never really put much on it, lawnmower or a couple hundred pounds of scrap,

Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

Well, it looks that I have to contact ARK (Estonian equivalent of DMV) for info. Maybe they can change the Type Certificate, because here trailers are classified into 2 classes: light and heavy. Maximum weight in the light category is 750 kg and almost all vehicles should be able to tow such trailer.

Quick Reply: Trailer weight