2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailering

I know my transsmision for my ZR2 doesen't have a cooling system but would that matter if i were to have a small trailer that i could stick 1 or 2 atv's / snowmobiels onto?

was thinknig about this for when i may get one or the other or possibly both in the future if my blazer will last me that long

Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
PhillyZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Towing

I was just going to post the same question!!...I have a 2003 Blazer LS 2DR. And was putting a Class 3 hitch on it tow a u-haul trailor...I have to tow itthrough the mountians about 9 hours drive..Will this be a problem..The U-haul site says i can tow up to 5000lbs...

Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trailering

Your ZR2 can tow 4600lbs.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM

hehe double post

Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
wankel7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Overdrive. Don't use it.

At least when you are towing. I put a transmission temperature gauge on my Jimmy. I was towing and trying to save gas so I just left it in overdrive. And the temps in the tranny were just climbing. I was just driving on a flat road around 70. So, I slowed down and took it out of overdrive. I could actually notice the needle dropping off. It cooled almost 50f in very little time.

James

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If you have the owners manual there is a section in it on towing a trailer.[*]
If you have an automatic transmission, you can tow in DRIVE(D). You may want to shift the transmission to THIRD(3) or, if necessary, a lower gear selection if the transmission shifts too often (e.g., under heavy loads and/or hilly conditions). Or, if you have a manual transmission and you are towing a trailer, it's better not to use FIFTH(5) gear. Just drive in FOURTH(4) gear (or, as you need to, a lower gear). See Tow/Haul Mode Light .[*]
I didn't see anything about trans oil temp. Your tranny oil is cooled in the radiator but I would recommend adding an aftermarket trans cooler.

2003 ZR2auto trans, axle ratio3.73, max towing weight4,700lbs and 9,000lbs isThe Gross Combination Weight Rating. (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

I have a 2000 4 door...4wd blazer...I towed a 6x12 U haul trailer approx 500 miles...x4 trips..some of it was hilly...I did have to shift to a lower gear...my coolant temp ran pretty high...even going 56 miles an hour (fast as I could freaking go the last time)...The truck pulled it with out a problem...but I would be hesitant to tow anything that heavy again with my blazer...load limit or not...just my two cents!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you can drive around in 3rd while towing, but your mileage will suffer as opposed to OD. If the transmission is not hunting for the proper gear and the torque converter is staying locked in, stay in OD. If you see the tach jumping around a bit (200-300rpm movements mean the TC is unlocking/locking) and/or it is constantly hunting for the proper gear, drop it down into 3rd.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM

so do you guys think i should get a tranny cooler?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A tranny cooler is the first thing I install on every vehicle I get regardless of whether it is going to tow anything or not. I get the B&M SuperCooler as it has a viscosity based bypass that will limit the overcooling affect in cold whether. I run the largest B&M SuperCooler available with 3/8" hose connections.