2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

trans oil and filter change

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Thager is on a distinguished road
Default trans oil and filter change

im going to be changing the oil and filter on my transmission and i need to know how much oil will come out when i remove the pan, i want to make sure i have enough new oil to refill it ?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if ya got money to blow just buy a whole case. chances are you will needed it eventually anyways.

way back when oil and trans fluid was like 10 bucks a case i did just that i bought 10 cases of oil and 2 cases of trans fluid, just about 6 months ago i finally used the last of the oil. wish i would have bought more

i just put a trans in my buddies 89 fullsize chevy with a 700r4 which is basically the same size trans you have and it took 6 after dropping the pan and letting it drain over night. but might be a deeper pan though too

Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice white Blazer. Be advised that on my 97 I had to loosen the rear trans mount considerably and jack up the trans to access the rear most bolts in the pan and I advise you use extreme caution moving the linkage out of the way as well-easy to damage! One more word of advice: drop the pan strait down and don't try to wiggle it out as the solonoids are easily damaged in this manner. All the best!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Thager is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys I have 1 4L jug I'll get another just to be sure , this isn't my first 4l60 e , I changed one my old chev astro about 5 years ago but it was only 2wd

Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

This changing the ATF process would be easier if the auto trans pan had a drain plug. Are you saying there is no drain plug on the 2000 Blazer trans? Can you swap out to a pan from another year with a factory drain plug?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
This changing the ATF process would be easier if the auto trans pan had a drain plug. Are you saying there is no drain plug on the 2000 Blazer trans? Can you swap out to a pan from another year with a factory drain plug?
Actually,maybe.

I remember looking in on this and found a thread about swapping pans from a newer silverado that came factory with a drain bolt. I cant find it to save my life.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard of but never have seen a factory drain plug in a GM trans,but then I drive the older stuff.These are usually easily installed however. It negates the mess but still not the issue with lifting the trans to safely lower the pan w/o possibly harming solonoids....

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I hate to admit this, but I don't always change the filter when I drain the ATF. I do the ATF fluid change on my car with the 4L60E every 15k . So I change the filter every other time or 30k. That's where a pan with a drain would really be handy, considering the trouble of the accessing the ATF pan with 4WD.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a shop do my trans fu and filter change, cost me like 80 bucks and they supplied the gasket and filter, do me its worth the head ache...Did it at 50K and they (Shop) said the filter was pretty dirty. I have purchase a filter and gasket for another change (106K now), but do to unforeseen health problems I don't I'll be doing it or much or any work on it any more...for some reason when I get down on the ground on my back I get real dizzy and have to come out from underneath it and stand up until it goes away...All the fun is gone..****!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Nope...no drain plug on any of the Blazers. Easy to put one in though; costs around $20 or so. I have never done it, but looks easy to do.

I never had to raise the trans to get the pan off, but did have to drop the exhaust crossover on a '95 Blazer.....had no problem on my '02....except that it makes a big mess....have a large drain pan under the trans pan.

I had to drop the front of the pan down a bit first and got a little fluid out, but not much. Then trying to get the pan off and hold it level and lower it down to the drain pan did not work, it tipped and then it went. I did not have a large enough drain pan.....but I do now.

I changed the ATF at 80k miles; did not install a drain plug as I have no idea if I will still have this Blazer by the time the odometer reaches 150k.

Best to buy the ATF in either the gallon or 5 quart bottles....you'll need two. The new filter takes awhile to soak-up the ATF so it takes a couple of fills to get to the correct level.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: trans oil and filter change