2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

transfer case went??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road
Default transfer case went??

so i was in the next town over (the truck is still over there)
but lets start a little earlier this day:
i was in town when i heard clicking...........didnt think much of it.....just shrugged it off..........big mistake?...........then i got to my girlfriends moms house and it stopped........thought okay well maybe it was nothing.............later this happened:

i was going into the gas station when my truck comes to pretty much a stop, i straighten my wheel and it goes a little further and i turn it off and look under the truck, theres a lil oil comming out from what i think is the tranfercase (not near the drive shaft)
welllllll............i got permission to leave my car overnight or little longer, and i moved it out of the way..............then it stopped, will not move, (will move a little bit but not very much, just enough to get on a flatbed or a trailer)

so does this sound like a transfer case?

ive searched btw............and how much am i looking to pay?? 150 bucks for a used tranfercase sound good?

btw.......97 LT 4x4 4door

Last edited by m3ch; 10-12-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the oil coming from? That will tell you whether its the transfer case or the transmission.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 AM

i checked the tranny fluid and its good, its comming from the passanger side kinda just to the right of the drive shaft uhhh theres 2 bolts uhhh ill try to get a picture of it

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 PM

okay well this is odd.....................for some reason it unlocked and now is drivable............it happened AFTER i called the towing dude but before the tow................so i spend anymoney the guy called another guy who works on blazer s10's and suburbans........well..........he thought at first maybe it was the transfer case.........well.....i drove it around the parking lot......then he said it was the plunger................it was stuck between gears (4hi and 2 hi)

Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Default Okay!

okay so lets see here, my truck locked up on me.........the plunger was stuck between 2hi and 4hi? i guess................well its fine now but i need opinoins here

my truck was fine one day, it was clicking a little bit in town..........(like from the axel or transfer case) so could have it been the plunger sticking? or is it my transfer case..........either way, after a while it stopped....so i thought ok kool it musnt be too serious........well i went to the next town over pulled into the gas station and boom! couldnt make a turn without it wanting to stop........straighten my wheel it was fine again....... i didnt use 4 wheel drive at all that night, but my baby likes to play with the switch.......anyhow i got out asked if i could leave it over night.......said sure, today i called a tow truck and then it started working again, like nothing ever happened.........the one who said the plunger was stuck was the tow guys friend, who works on our kind of trucks and tahoes, suburbans etc............well i drove it around the parking lot a few times, forward reverse left right, and didnt do it again..........well the other night when it locked up on me, i noticed a little bit of fluid leaking from the bottom..........what kind of fluid i dont know
doesnt smell like motor oil like the tow guy thought, it wasnt tranny fluid (oil pressure, heat and everything else is fine on my gauges plus i check them) the smell was kind of like a sharp metalic smell......like the stuff thats comming out of my rear diff, anyhow.......this completely stumped me, stumped my dad, and just about everyone else, so plunger or t case? im bringing it to the local shop here (get the parts they will do it for free but tipping is good) im going to have them put in the pinoin seal and the new rear diff cover i have, was going to do it myself but my friends dad is never home, her dad is always on truck, i dont have the tools or knowledge on removing the drive shaft, but if you are still with me, what do you guys think?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merged threads* - Since this is the same topic, best to keep it in the same location. If someone else finds themselves in the same situation, it would be nice to have all of the info on your problem in one place.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM

sorry kyle shouldve thought that one thru

Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

NP. It happens.

Were you able to snap a picture of where the leak was? If so, post it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM

i originally thought i was comming from here, but i dont know anymore, uhhh its fine now tho, like i said they thought its the actuator or something idk it works now im going to look at it when it warms up more, its cold now lol like 50 degrees i need a little more sun(this pic was taken last week)

then i thought it came form here

Last edited by m3ch; 10-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Starting Member
teufelhunden799 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my 98 blazer .replaced the driver cv joint and disconected the half shaft from the tranfer case and it rolls fine but i still think the tranfer case is bad , so I want to know if it's possible to remove the transfer case and leave it off until i can get a new one?

Last edited by teufelhunden799; 06-26-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: transfer case went??