2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:44 PM
rap
Beginning Member
rap is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission issue?

I just purchased a 1998 4dr LT with 160,000 miles on it and one owner. It has truly been pampered all its life here in Colorado. I have replaced the thermostat (stuck open), tape player doesn't work (probably hasn't been used in ten years, but looking for way to feed stereo from my phone for Pandora) and I have a similar miss issue. It almost seems as though the transmission is confused about which gear to be in and thus oscilates back and forth momentarily between two gears. Have you had any success in tracking down your issue?

Going forward, I will try to contribute what I can. I'm a decent study, but my hobby background is more in older BMW's.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum!

What have you done so far? Change trans fluid & filter? Has there been any tune up work done recently? Is the service engine soon light illuminated?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Beginning Member
princered72 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Issue

I was about to post on the same type of issue. 2000 Jimmy. Just recently noticed trans not shifting in OD or seems like slipping. Does it when it is close to or at operating temp. Lower gears seems to be showing some of the same signs. Engine rpms will go up and not shift unless I play with the pedal. Gas mileage has dropped. Checked fluid level and it is good, not brown. I haven't doen anything to the trans lately like change filter, fluids, etc. Was running fine and no trans codes either.

I have been seeing on the forum it may be the shift soleniods in the trans. I know there are 2, are the the same part? I understand the pan needs dropped for this

Thanks ALL!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2000 Blazer 4x4 LT 4.3 106K on it. I change the fluid and filter at 50K and the filter was pretty well clog up...fluid still good my you...and again at 100K again the filter was the worse part....I did not do it myself I took it to a shop where I know the owner so he won't try and screw me over....I would recommend changing the filter and fluid every 50K on all Blazers and S-10 pickups with the same engine and tranny...I have a 2003 4x4 LS S-10 pick up with 48K on it...Low miles...but soon I will change the filter and fluid soon regardless of the color of the fliud....My 2 cents...

Old 01-20-2015, 11:20 AM
rap
Beginning Member
rap is on a distinguished road

I've only owned the Blazer for about 10 days, and just going thru it to sort out issues. The thermostat, tape player, and this issue with the shifting is all I've been able to find. I'm very happy that this is all I've found. I'm pretty **** about the care on my vehicles and this one is very well sorted.
I haven't done anything to address this issue as of yet. I was hoping that someone might have run accross this issue. It seems to act like maybe a sensor in the tranny that controls the shifting or detects the amount of torque. I am a little weak in this area as my other 3 "toy" vehicles are all manuals. The transmission fluid is at the proper level and appears to be the right color and clear with no smell of previously high temp operation. If this is not something that someone is familiar with, then I will start down a path of diagnosis as best I can.
Thanks for any help or guidance, and I will post whatever I find.
Also, no SES light or any other indication of problem. I ran a scan with no error codes. Ran it through state required emissions and picked up no codes and passed emissions at about 20% of legal ranges on all emissions.

Thanks,

Richard

Last edited by rap; 01-20-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Richard, no SES light might be a clue. It could mean the issue is something that the PCM doesn't monitor. The PCM controls shift points and monitors slip. The transmission needs to have a smooth, steady power input. If the engine can't provide that, the transmission will tend to amplify the unsteady input from the engine. Much like a computer: "junk in, junk out". The PCM also monitors engine misfire, but it needs to be significant before it can detect it. Engine tune up parts and adjustments need to be good, and correct. The PCM does not monitor fuel delivery, so if there's a problem, it can't set a code or turn the SES light on. Might be worthwhile looking into these things first, before assuming it's the transmission.

This should be helpful: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-20-2015 at 02:05 PM.