2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Turns Over but Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Beginning Member
ThatGirl1971 is on a distinguished road
Default Turns Over but Won't Start

Hi all!

I'm back again with another issue with my 2002 4WD 4-door Chevy Blazer. Friday, I had a ton of errands to run, and I had absolutely no problems with my car. On Saturday, I went to get in and it wouldn't start. It just turned over, but no start. I replaced the battery a couple of months ago, and I knew it couldn't be that. My alternator was also replaced not too long ago. I did some reading, and everything pointed to the fuel pump. This was not good news. My fiance poured a little gas in the carburetor and it started. That is the only time it would start, which caused us to believe that it was indeed the fuel pump.

This morning he tried starting it, and it actually started about five times, but it would stall.

I do know I have a bad 02 sensor because my engine light came on, and that's what Auto Zone's tester came back with. I think they said it was in the 2nd bank. That's all car lingo to me, and I don't know a whole lot about cars.

Is there any chance it's not a fuel pump? I just graduated in May after 4 years of college and got a good job that I start tomorrow. I can't believe this happened just two days before my job started. haha That's life I guess.

I just find it weird that I got no warning first. It ran great all day on Friday, and Saturday it acted like it hadn't been started in weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help! You guys have always helped me and never been wrong.

Joanie

Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

ThatGirl1971: before throwing money into replacing the fuel pump...need to see if it is indeed defective first. Call one of the chain auto parts stores and see if they have a loaner fuel pressure gauge so you or fiancé can use to actually check the fuel pressure.

Instead of the fuel pump it could be the fuel pressure regulator, injection spider, etc.

Need to diagnose the problem before replacing parts.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by LannyL81; 06-16-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Beginning Member
ThatGirl1971 is on a distinguished road

Lanny, thanks so much for your quick response. If I get a loaner fuel pump, is it difficult to change? I heard you had to drop the gas tank.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by LannyL81
ThatGirl1971: before throwing money into replacing the fuel pump...need to see if it is indeed defective first. Call one of the chain auto parts stores and see if they have a loaner fuel pump you or fiancé can use to actually check the fuel pressure.

Instead of the fuel pump it could be the fuel pressure regulator, injection spider, etc.

Need to diagnose the problem before replacing parts.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member
mwbrown4 is on a distinguished road

First do a fuel system diagnosis leak down test. To do it you need a fuel pressure gauge. You can rent one at your local auto zone for a deposit of about $150. Now, connect the gauge on the fuel rail under your hood at the very rear of the engine bay you should see the lines where they go to the fuel spider and just follow the big one towards the rear and you'll find a little schrader valve under a black plastic cap. Remove the cap and connect the gauge tight so no leaks. Now, route the gauge under your hood zoo you can place it on the windshield so you can read it from the driver seat. Turn your key to the ON position without cranking the engine and it should be 60 - 66 psi and STAY no less that 55 psi after 10 minutes of sitting. If it fails this test, you have a fuel problem and the issue is either your pump or your fuel spider or regulator. To narrow it down you need to connect the fuel pressure gauge at the fuel filter. Disconnect fuel filter and connect the fuel pressure gauge. Make sure the fuel line/pressure ends at the pressure gauge. BTW it will take a little creative plumbing with fittings that can be found at your hardware store and some fuel hoses and clamps which can be found at your local auto parts store. Now repeat the test. If it passes, the problem is your fuel injector spider assembly/fuel pressure regulator. If it fails, your pump is bad. REPLACE PUMP WITH ACDELCO OR DELHI ONLY!!! CHEAP PUMPS = CHEAP PERFORMANCE AND SHORT LIFE!!!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 PM
vegie_2 is on a distinguished road

I would replace cap and rotor with a/c delco i did fuel pump and spider and still had intermittent crank no start the corrosion in the cap terminals on the inside make the spark jump to the wrong spark plug. Aftermarket rotors do not have the insulator close to the end of the rotor and consequently it will not spark to the terminal its supposed to making the engine not start

Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ThatGirl1971
Lanny, thanks so much for your quick response. If I get a loaner fuel pump, is it difficult to change? I heard you had to drop the gas tank.

Thanks again!
they meant "loaner fuel pressure tester" not fuel pump.. so you dont go to the parts store asking for a loaner fuel pump haha

Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Thatgirl1971: Slight correction to my posting....loaner fuel pressure gauge....not loaner fuel plump......must have been asleep when I typed that out......