General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine turns over, but won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 AM
ryandannar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine turns over, but won't start...

Hey, all. I've got a 1995 S10 Chevy Blazer, 2-wheel drive. It was running fine until I tried to start it this morning and found that the engine turns over, but won't ignite. Starter sounds fine. My gas gague has been off a bit, so I put about 5 gallons of gas in the tank, but it still wouldn't start. Although I had no reason to think the battery was weak, I had my friend give me a jump -- and of course, it had no effect on the situation.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but my father is, so I discussed the problem with him. We decided that the problem either lies in the distributor, or with the fuel pump. To test, I sprayed some starter-fluid into the intake, then hit the ignition. The engine did start -- just briefly -- then died again.

So, my question is, does that mean it's definitely the fuel pump? Or does anyone have any other ideas? I'd appreciate any feedback you might have!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine turns over, but won't start...

Listen for the fuel pump whine/noise upon startup. If you don't hear it, that may be the problem. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^Yup

Also check your fuel pump relay and fuse before pulling the tank. You can swap the relay with another one under the dash. I typically pull the wiper relay after checking to make sure that the wipers work, and swap that out for the fuel pump relay and recheck the wipers. If they work, your relay is good and the problem lies with either the fuel filter or pump.

If you have to replace your pump, replace the filter too. For the little bit of added cost (less than $10), it's a good safety measure to ensure that nothing from the old pump made its way to the filter and clogged it up or cut through the filter media.

To really diagnose the fuel system, you should get a fuel pressure gauge, but if your pump isn't running and the fuse/relay are good, its either wiring from there to the pump or the pump just went bad.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your only other option is the ignition control module. Take it off and have it tested at your friendly local autoparts store. Whikle your there ask thm about fuel pump costs and availability. You will need the code that is on the tag which is on top of the gas tank. But they can tell you what the options are and if they have them in stock. Price will vary with the unit. Price around. Mine cost $280, but I was quoted anywhere from $260-$350. Depends on place and unit. Dealer is the best. Get the longest warrenty you can.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:12 PM
ryandannar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help, everyone. The problem was indeed the fuel-pump; all the relays and fuses were fine. My dad and I pulled the old pump out and installed a new one. The whole job took maybe six hours (if that long), and cost $132.26 in parts. It seems that, with the 1995 Blazer (which is what I've got), you can replace the pump individually. In all other models (1996 and later), you have to buy a module that contains the fuel-pump and everything else. So, the upshot is, it's much cheaper to change-out the fuel pump in a 1995 Blazer than in any other model. In fact, we could have replaced it for even cheaper than $132.26; less expensive fuel-pumps were available (I think the cheapest new pump we found was around $60), and our repair-cost also included the replacement of two fuel hoses which we cut while removing the tank. These hoses were something like $80 apiece from the dealer, but we found 'em at a local NAPA for a total of about $28.00.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Mxlt is an unknown quantity at this point

I just come to the same problem. Where are the fuel pump and wiper relays to try that out first? This morning came to work and all was fine until right now when tried to start it to go for lunch. Fuel pump not making any noise so I want to discard faulty part, relay or fuel pump.

Thanks