2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Turns over, no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member
Chuck750ss is on a distinguished road

Chuck750ss. I am the op.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:07 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Are you verifying spark when it will turn over but not start? Have you checked more than one plug? Is the spark strong and regular?

Have you performed the fuel pressure sticky test, especially the 10 min leak down pressure min of 55 psi? Have you watched fuel pressure while it cranks and won't start?

Do you have a noid light to check for fuel injector control pulses?

Do you see any security light irregularities? This can disable the fuel injectors.

Are there any codes?

George

Old 08-03-2021, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member

Verified at one plug. Firing good. Not doing fuel pressure test simply because I am not going to spend the money if that is the issue. No noid light. Will check dash lights.
As long as I have a good spark, shouldn’t the engine run briefly using starter fluid? Am squirting in throttle body with accelerator pushed partially down while cranking.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chuck750ss
Verified at one plug. Firing good. Not doing fuel pressure test simply because I am not going to spend the money if that is the issue. No noid light. Will check dash lights.
As long as I have a good spark, shouldn’t the engine run briefly using starter fluid? Am squirting in throttle body with accelerator pushed partially down while cranking.
I have not used starter fluid in 50 years and back then I probably tried to blow myself up so I can't help you there. LOL. Maybe another member can give you some guidance.

I'll be glad to help you with anything else required to diagnose and fix your vehicle. Let me know. Since your not planning on putting much money into this truck, you might want to search the threads here on typical stuff that goes wrong so you can decide if you even want to get started. A quick list off the top of my head:

Fuel pump
lower intake gaskets
fuel spider
door hinge pins
Distributor, at least the hold down and gear
front wheel hubs
idler arm
ball joints and tie rod ends
rear axle seals
everything 4WD

George

Old 08-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

Just thought of something. The guy that drove it (deceased) had some type of aftermarket security system on it. Wife told me the reason he parked it was because of alarm constantly staying on. I disabled the “horns”. Is it possible that this aftermarket system is preventing it from starting? And if so, where would be a good place to look to totally disable the system?

Last edited by Chuck750ss; 08-03-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks George. All advice is much appreciated!!!

Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM
BF Veteran

Sure but the diagnosis is still the same:

Fuel pressure
Ignition
Fuel injector pulses

Once you know which one(s) you don't have then you find out why and decide if you want to fix it.

I'm not the stabbing at it guy with the parts cannon, I'll be glad to help you with a diagnostics flow. Many others here will help you at taking an educated guess. I'm not totally heartless so I will leave you with one guess:

Find the security module under the dash and reverse all of the wiring hacks and see what you get.

George

Old 08-03-2021, 03:01 PM
BF Veteran

Off to some appointments, good luck.

George

Old 08-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member

Backtracked some of the wiring. Haven’t found where it “ties” in.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:48 PM
NItehawke is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Are Chuck750SS and Nitehawke the same people with the same truck or is this post for a different truck than the 2000 Blazer in post 1 of this thread? This doubly confusing because the next post for both users would be #5.

George
no, we are not the same person. My Blazer finally broke down for good with the issue I originally posted. I ruled out the ignition switch. It goes to the shop tomorrow. I planned to update once it's fixed (and will) and discovered the thread was hijacked. Oh, well, lol.

Quick Reply: Turns over, no start