2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ugh Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ugh Seafoam

Ok I did the seafoam thing today or at least tried to. Took off brake booster put in a cup let it slowly suck down. Now here comes the fun part all of a sudden smoke was coming out of the engine bay. Around the intake manifold towards the rear. I quickly stopped after that. So now my question is I guess im taking a weekend and replacing the gasket? I just got this car 3 weeks ago about. Im trying to get it in top running condition for when I make a 1500mile road trip in 2 months. How hard is the gasket? I have a 1995 with the spider the previous owner says he had a shop replace it so im assuming they would have replaced the gasket too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Ugh Seafoam

I doubt you toasted a gasket with a few ounces of seafoam through the booster hose...

More than likely you have a leak in the hose or at a connection, and you squirted some sea foam on the exhaust manifold/header/block.

A few weeks back I was adding some Lucas tranny fix, and didn't realize the stuff was so thick...so as I was pouring it backed up in the dip stick tube and leaked out...annnddddd the tranny dipstick is RIGHT ABOVE the passenger side exhaust...started freakin out till I realized I just dripped a little

I'd double check everything hose wise before chalking it up to a gasket failure.....have you driven it since the seafoam incident? Any other symptoms that would point to a gasket failure (which gasket are you thinking anyway...heads?)

Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Starting Member

Yeah just drove it seemed fine. Smoke in the engine bay a little after i started her up. I also have some hesitation at idle. Idk if its related. Had it since i bought the car a faint hesitation at idle. It seems to be a little worse now but maybe its in my head.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I'd say you have a vaccum leak, which is causing the hesitation, and that leak is what let your engine get seafoam sprayed all over it (=smoke)

Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As wolfpack has stated, I highly doubt that the seafoam caused a gasket to blow out. Is it possible that some of the seafoam leaked out and down the brake booster line, then burned off of a hot engine?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Beginning Member
kross is an unknown quantity at this point

I just changed the oil in my 2000 Jimmy (Castrol Syntec) last weekend, and now I hear about Seafoam. I want to do the Seafoam cleaning, but I don't want to have to change my oil again right away. Do I have to change the oil?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: kross

I just changed the oil in my 2000 Jimmy (Castrol Syntec) last weekend, and now I hear about Seafoam. I want to do the Seafoam cleaning, but I don't want to have to change my oil again right away. Do I have to change the oil?
Your supposed to because it gets in your oil contaminates it and thins it out. Supposed to change within 100 miles.

Im going to change my oil and check for vacuum leaks tomorrow hopefully it doesn't rain.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point

It could also be an exhaust leak at the manifold and you are seeing the smoke that is going through the exhaust. Mine was like that and it took me a while to figure that out. It didn't sound like an exhaust leak, but the donut gasket was leaking a little bit.