2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

UK Blazer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
bugsydog is on a distinguished road
Default UK Blazer Problems

i have a uk spec rhd blazer 2000 the key fob is toast because is dropped the ramp on it so i can't start it , The us system allows you to reprogram the fob by closing doors and pressing the unlock switch this won't work in the uk system .I have the 5 digit security code which i am told you need to put in via the fog light switch . Uk spec blazers had an aftermarket thatcher security system put in I can't find any info anywhere how to do this anyone here knows how to do it thanks .

I love american cars but I so wish the uk government had kept their hands off these lots uk owners have trouble with the immobiliser system

Old 06-23-2017, 04:31 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Just not to let it go unnoticed. Most probably no answers as nobody knows.

I would start go looking for a manual. Somewhere somebody has to have a schematic with the mod made for the UK.

I would start looking if the system can be identified and reverse engineered or simply be removed altogether. Maybe, but just maybe you get lucky and in 2000 they have added something which kills a path to the fuel pump or to or from the ECU which can be identified and removed.

Still may need wiring diagrams for the US version to compare. Have a look at rockauto.com for your model in the "literature" section. Sometimes they feature the two or three original service manuals including the electrical, diagnostic and wiring books.

Good luck figuring that one out.

Cheers from Switzerland

Old 06-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member
Default thanks for the replie

I had an auto electician remove the imobilisor today he took out all the wiring and reconected the car as per . factory .2 hours £60 and
it still wont start .i geuss im going to have to scrap.it as no one here has any info .
the original concessionares have gone bust and gm usa dont know anything abouy the uk spec.
really depressed to be honest really like it and wanted to keep it .
no one here has any idea I have even tbought about getti g a cheap tech 11 scanner but im not sure that will work .

Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

the key FOB is a PITA.

A GM dealer should be able to access the ECU and clear the immobilizer. Actually even a GM/OPEL/VAUXHALL dealership could be able to access it.

Looks like two things. Additional immobilizer gone haywire and the FOB gone bad and not re-setting/re-learning.

And...

...had a similar problem with the FOB not being able to reset. Finally found out that the particular location had an alarm system which disturbed the frequency of the key. Little chance but you may want to give it a try.

The more electronics they put into cars the more I love my 1994 Blazer. No airbags, no immobilizer, no keyless just what you need for fuel injection, catalytic converter and ride.

I would stick with it and see if information can be found. BTW do you have the user manual?

May help:

Others that hat this issue:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...-issues-61572/

http://www.nastf.org/files/public/NA...0-2010_web.htm

may be worth a shot if reasonable priced and you pay only when it works out:

PIN-CODE, LOST KEYS SOLUTIONS & IMMOBILIZER PIN CODES

More in the forum
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...nnected-45113/

Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 AM
Beginning Member
Default frustrated uk owner

Originally Posted by error_401
I am getting in touch with an electronics guy see if i can have the old chips solderered into the new fob .
i tried the euro reset but nothing comes up on the dash just the security light .No numbers or anytbing .
i donr have the pin code as the car was nearly scrapped .
the us reset doent work no one here seems to be able to use a tech 2 for these (if it aint english we do t want to know grrrr.) my wife is almost throwing me out .
thanks for the help these clubs and forums really keep me positive .

Old 06-24-2017, 04:34 AM
Beginning Member
Shaun67 is on a distinguished road

Your best bet might be to contact Parts USA near Stockport as they are the official GM service repair centre for the country. They have a huge amount of knowledge on UK spec Blazers.
I believe you can reprogramme any UK spec key fob to an individual vehicle but you cannot use the USA ones as they are totally different and the keys have a transponder not present on the UK ones.
Pontiac Jeep UK keep Blazer spares so you may be able to get a second hand fob from Steve Gill there and have it reset for your Blazer.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 AM
Beginning Member
Default blazer woes

Hi
Thanks i will call them today the headlight high beam isnt working and the indicators just buzz at me so looks like i need a new headlght stalk .I tried to reset the pass key i thought maybe i dont need the remote .is it possible just to change the lock ecu with another and use another cars remote and still use my existing keys .or do i need to change the main ecu as well. If the uk system desnt use the chip key or pass system and just a remote maybe that can be done .

Originally Posted by Shaun67
Your best bet might be to contact Parts USA near Stockport as they are the official GM service repair centre for the country. They have a huge amount of knowledge on UK spec Blazers.
I believe you can reprogramme any UK spec key fob to an individual vehicle but you cannot use the USA ones as they are totally different and the keys have a transponder not present on the UK ones.
Pontiac Jeep UK keep Blazer spares so you may be able to get a second hand fob from Steve Gill there and have it reset for your Blazer.
n

Old 06-26-2017, 04:18 AM
Beginning Member
Shaun67 is on a distinguished road

I think you need to have the remote for the pass lock system. As I understand it the crazy Thatcham system was 'piggybacked' on to the existing US security system. I believe the issue with the remotes is the UK uses a different frequency but as I say it should not be too difficult to get a second hand one. Without bypassing the pass lock the vehicle still won't start on the key.
Parts USA is effectively the service department from Bauer Millett who were the main dealers selling Blazers when they were new so their knowledge is immense.
Steve Gill at Pontiac Jeep UK has also worked on them for years and has broken many vehicles for spares so may well have the bits you need.
Hope you get sorted.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:34 AM
Beginning Member
Default blazer uk key fobs

Originally Posted by error_401
Just not to let it go unnoticed. Most probably no answers as nobody knows.

I would start go looking for a manual. Somewhere somebody has to have a schematic with the mod made for the UK.

I would start looking if the system can be identified and reverse engineered or simply be removed altogether. Maybe, but just maybe you get lucky and in 2000 they have added something which kills a path to the fuel pump or to or from the ECU which can be identified and removed.

Still may need wiring diagrams for the US version to compare. Have a look at rockauto.com for your model in the "literature" section. Sometimes they feature the two or three original service manuals including the electrical, diagnostic and wiring books.

Good luck figuring that one out.

Cheers from Switzerland
blazer

I managed to find a company selling keys fobs part 15732810 I ordered 2 they are pricey at $70 each the link is. http://www.partsouq.com/
I haven't got them yet but I ordered just now via PayPal I will post if all ok .