2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Upper manifold cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

No I did not take hood off. Large adjustable wrench on the main fan bolt turned it over nice and easy and no getting on ground. Few sites show using alternator pully but leverage wise that fan pully has more surface area, slips less and easier to work with. All good for now. Still just chilling out, that was way more work than I expected but then again no experience so I should have known. Will do a real road test Tuesday and see if I have any leaks.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Yay!! Congrats!!

Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Starting Member

Hey Don, why is it on your photo of timing marks it looks SO SO roomy in that engine compartment? I mean geez, I can hardly even see thru the gaps to the timing marks on mine yet in that photo it looks massively roomy. You swap a 4cyl in there to make space? Stretch the frame forward an extra foot? Wait dont ruin it for me, you had a bunch of stuff torn apart and this is old photo stock you recycled for my benefit. So envious when I see that much room its like the sky’s parted and heavens glow beamed upon it and said retro flashback 1984 full size 1500 pickup v6 climb in there’s room for more. I just had to mention it.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I dont have a lower fan shroud on, and I didnt have the upper installed at the time. Other then that, it's all the same, going to work on efans this summer maybe... hopefully lol...

Old 04-08-2019, 10:45 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Oil pump alignment tool - old dist. - remove the top where the cap and such mount and strip misc. off top of shaft, grind teeth smooth on the lower gear.

As the pin that holds the gear on is actually what the dist uses to spin the oil pump when it's dropped in engine the notch in the top of the shaft for the rotor points where rotor needs to align too.

It drops right in and lets you rotate pump. No need to eyeball down the dist hole or stand on your head.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Starting Member

See, next time I can lend you my remade studs and you can lend me your modified distributor oil pulp align tool.
IN all honesty I really do not want to do this again. Royal pain in the rear. I did make marks with my paint pen and I had it right the first time but...newb...and...well I f’d up and forgot to plug in the thing that goes low behind into distributor and I think that started the cam sensor error and no rpm on tach. So like a newb pulled it and started tinkering and forgot new marks and boom, instant headache.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

ya - making a tool out of a worn part is worth while and other than storing it, it beats throwing it away esp. if it makes life easier, I've used this A'lot in the last few years
I know what the eye sight thing is all about so be proud of yourself you did good - have a cup of coffee, pop, beer or something of your choice and a couple missed plugins is not too bad for the first time of doing a project.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Starting Member

Just giving the update- so far so good. Not seeing any real leaks nor loss of oil or coolant. Running solid, no complaints

Old 04-11-2019, 02:54 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Just giving the update- so far so good. Not seeing any real leaks nor loss of oil or coolant. Running solid, no complaints
Great - glad to hear it! You say that you don't want to do it again, but look at how much you learned - and how much experience you gained. That's priceless in my book! Good job!

Old 04-11-2019, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Quick Reply: Upper manifold cleaning questions