2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vacuum actuator

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:15 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacuum actuator

Okay, finally got my truck on a lift to see if my 4x4 was working, nope the t-case engages, but the hubs don't work is what the mechanic told me

I had this checked for free lol thats why he really didn't say much, he was just checking it

So i took out the battery and the tray and saw the vacuum actuator was ripped. Okay no big deal, I took it off and tranny fluid (I think) leaked out. I was wondering if I got a new vacuum actuator, if the fluid could be a problem?

Also where online can you buy a vacuum actuator, i haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Thanks, Kane

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It most definitely will be a problem. You need to pray that it did not make its way into the HVAC system or you are in for a LONG cleanup process.

The problem stems from two issues. A leaking input seal on the front of the transfer case (where it connects to the back of the transmission) and a bad vacuum switch on the transfer case. The leaking seal on the front of the transfer case allows the transfer case to become over filled. The bad vacuum switch on the transfer case allows the transmission fluid that has over filled the transfer case to be pulled into the vacuum system.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM

but the level in the t-case is very low, i dont thing it has made its way into the hvac system

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thats new... At the very least, the vacuum switch needs to be replaced in the transfer case. It should not be allowing anything to get into the vacuum system.

Pull the vac line off the back of your HVAC control head to make sure.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM

where is the vac line on the HVAC control head

Thanks for the help and fast reposes!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Have a look under the dash. You may have to pull off a hush panel under the dash to see the mess of vacuum lines to the back of the HVAC control head (where you set your fan, heat, and output settings). The black line will be the vacuum feed from the engine.

Also, disconnect the vacuum line to your vacuum ball and see if transmission fluid comes out there as well.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM

k thank you very much ill Check first thing tomorrow!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 AM

checked the vac ball, it's dry thank god... I'll have to check the HVAC control head after school.

ok i took apart my dash today and couldn't find the vacuum line. but i'm 90% theres no tranny fluid in there. So went to advance auto and got the vacuum switch and the vacuum actuator. so i should be all set once i get some t case fluid, and install the parts!

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-25-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM
amccain is on a distinguished road

I sort of have the same problem. I have a 96 blazer ls and the transfer case engages but the hubs do not. i have vacuum to the actuator under the battery and the wire pulls but i still cannot get the hubs to engage. Any help would be great.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Um, I don't really know what that problem would be... Hopefully Swartlkk Will chime in, He'll know the problem lol

Quick Reply: Vacuum actuator