2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vacuum Line goes where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member
sunnyblueskies is on a distinguished road
Default Vacuum Line goes where?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this Forum, so please be kind.
2000 Jimmy, 4.3l, 4x4

I have a picture attached that maybe explains it better.
Driverside, engine compartment, in the corner of firewall and fender we have one vacuum line that is not connected to anything, but that can't be right? Problem is we can not see anything as to where it would go?
Is it just a test line that usually has a plug on it or where does it go?

See picture

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Line goes where?-100_3231.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Vacuum reservoir located inside the driver side fender. You should see a black plastic wall in the fender near the ABS system with a nipple sticking out of it.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
Default Line

Ok, I will have to look again. We even took the ABS system off the firewall yesterday but didn't see anything.
Where does this line actually go and what does it do?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the inside of the fender between the ABS pump & the wiper motor. The nipple may have broken off previously which can make it somewhat difficult to know what you are looking at.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Beginning Member

I checked again. The black plastic plate was sitting between the fender and the bracket that holds the Brake system, under one bolt holding all of this in place I could feel a nipple and the hose fit right on. I couldn't stick my head into the space though to see for sure, but it felt like what you were talking about. So what does this line do?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator

The tank that the line hooks to acts as vacuum storage much like the tank on an air compressor does. Coupled with the check valve/tee assembly (white plastic in your picture), it provides consistent vacuum levels for the vacuum powered accessories (HVAC & 4wd) while the engine is operating at low manifold vacuum as is typical during acceleration.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks swartlkk, you've saved me from going insane.
It's so much easier to find something when you actually know what you are suppose to be looking for. We were looking for another hose, not a connection on a plate that we couldn't see to begin with.

Now if I could just solve the starting problem too........but that is another post, and I see there are many that have the same problem.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Administrator

No problem. Glad to help!

If you can't find what you need for your no-start condition from the Tech Article or other posts found using the search feature, post up and we'll try to help you get it fixed up!