2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vacuum system

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member
SmileMore79 is on a distinguished road
Default Vacuum system

Hi its me agian. Have been abke to sol e my my issues by watching youtube. However my 4x4 not work. Ive checked all the vacuum lines and replaced the ones needing changing. The vacuum acuator isnt getting any air pull to it. Took it apart and was able to manually put it into 4wheel drive. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

any rips in the actautor bellow? Could be vacuum switch on top of tranny or on firewall depending on year of truck

Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member

There is no tear in the actuator and the solenoid under the hood work properly.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM
BF Veteran

Then you still have a leak somewhere or lines may be connected wrong. Put your finger over the end of the actuator vacuum line with engine running and feel for suction

Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member

Ive tried that and i get no suction i give up on it been working on it for some time now this problem might have to go to shop

Old 07-11-2017, 02:28 PM
BF Veteran

good luck probably something stupid. When I installed my spider it wouldnt start, went nuts for 6 hours. Never plugged to coil wire to dist back in. Doh!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Don't give up yet , you say the solenoid under the hood works correctly. So you have a 4 button system if you have the solenoid on the firewall, do you have vacuum to the solenoid ?....if not is the line connected at the canister inside the drivers fender ?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member

I have vacumm at the solinoid under the hood and the hose going to tje canister in fender is a new hose. Its some thing to do with the vaccum acuator under the battery not getting any air there.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Beginning Member
WinnipegsonomaZR2 is on a distinguished road

U removed the vacuum switch on the tranny and made sure it wasn't seized... when I took mine out the ball worked sometimes but when I kept pressing on it it would seize and after purchasing a new one (they are cheap) I noticed that the ball valve moved with ease compared to my old one ... u made sure that the lines are connected in the right place on the vacuum switch.....did u replace the line from the vacuum switch to the actuator....if not disconnect the line at switch and install a small piece of new line and see if u get suction

Old 07-12-2017, 05:36 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

If you have vacuum going to the solenoid on the firewall and no vacuum going to the actuator ....then it sounds like the firewall solenoid is not working or the lines on the solenoid may be reversed.....you can temporarily bypass the solenoid by hooking the lines up together and see if the actuator then gets vacuum.

Quick Reply: Vacuum system