2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

voltage drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
kmrwildcat is on a distinguished road
Default voltage drop

i have a 2000 blazer that has a voltage drop. I thought i found the issue with the brake switch but to no evail. I have pulled all fuses with a tester in place and the light doesnt go out. I need help what should i go after now.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

voltage drops to what? from what? when? why did you think it was your brake switch? what light?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 PM

I used a test light on the system. I disconnected the positive side hooked the tester to the cable and probed the battery positive side. When i started tracing down a voltage drop i was told by pulling all the fuses 1 at a time the light will go out on the tester when u find the short. It never did. When i messed with the brake switch the light would get brighter when the pedal was pushed. If this thing sits for more tha 6 hours my voltage drops around 3.5 volts. It has a new alternator and battery all from GM.When the system (charging) is tested it shows the voltage drop.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

never heard that technique, but I'm not an electrition or mechanic.. you remembered the main fuses under the hood, right?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Yes i pulled everyone that would come out. Including the door panel as well.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I would find someone with a Tech2 or equivlent scanner and pay them an hour labor to diagnose the issue. Sounds like you may have a Gem module acting up but it is hard to say... good luck.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 PM

What is approx cost of a module. Are they easy to replace.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kmrwildcat
What is approx cost of a module. Are they easy to replace.
There is more than one... but that may not even be the problem. Hence the "TECH2" scanner. Not just a regular scan tool.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is the actual amperage draw?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:47 PM

I do not know the exact amp draw. I am loosing voltage to the tune of 3.5 volts over an 8 hour period. I'm not sure what amp rating is on the battery if i did i could calculate the draw for an approximate amp loss.

Quick Reply: voltage drop