2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

water in the oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Beginning Member
kdcintn is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kdcintn
No knock, no smoke. $2500. if changing the gaskets works, its still a deal. lol
99% of the time when you have coolant in the oil with these engines it's the intake manifold gasket. It's not a real hard job but it is time consuming to strip everything from the top of the engine. Never having done one before it took me 2 days. Hardest thing for me was getting the distributor out without using the special bent wrench. Make sure you use some nail polish to mark the position. Do not turn the engine after the distributor is out but since most of the guides call for removing the battery terminals it shouldn't be a problem.

The only special tool you should need is an inch pound torque wrench because the LIM bolts are only 122 inch pounds and you have to increment up to it so the larger torque wrenches just aren't calibrated fine enough. There are a number of guides with pictures showing what needs to be done. Keep the injectors clean, cover the valley with a towel, and clean the mating surfaces real good. As someone else mentioned use the good gasket set. It might come with the upper gaskets but there's really no reason to replace those.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dobyken

The only special tool you should need is an inch pound torque wrench because the LIM bolts are only 122 inch pounds ....
Ummm ..Gee!
Given the context here, I WONDER WHY they are only 122 inch pounds.
#$$#%%##@$ all well and good for those engineers, they dont have to do the replace and they'll get a bonus if the warranty costs dont shoot up.
The MBA's love that sort of stuff.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazeme
Check that intake gasket close. It could be the source of your water problem and the head gaskets may be good.

Blazeme
they MIGHT be good, but for how long? They can be good today then it gets driven and they blow out. Figure you got the top end tore down, replace them all. Better to be safe then sorry. You get the kit, you get all the gaskets in the kit; heads, intake, manifolds, distributor, valve covers, etc. Like I said, since you got it all tore down/out anyway, why not spend the few extra minutes to switch out the gaskets and be absolutely certain they are good.

just trying to save you a possible headache down the road and so you don't have to do it all over again.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt tear a motor down until more research was done. You need a compression test and a leak down test on the cooling system. To blindly tear into a motor without trying to figure out what repair REALLY needs to be done just wastes time and money.

I dont mind doing work, i mind wasting time. Just my honest humble opinion.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member

im poor, cant afford leak down test. to do it myself, its just as hard to replace the head gaskets. im no mechanic, but ive done head gaskets before. but not a comp. test.
I did the intakes. (to be cont.) hard time posting, gotta try...

OK. intakes came out in pieces, crumbled between the fingers, last holes were blew out. old antifreeze ate em.
still want to do the head gaskets when i do the full tune up.
i timed it - no run, big backfire (oh yeah, all the neighbor kids ran to see who had fireworks, or who was shot)
reversed the distributor - it runs, but rough. didnt know about the second mark on the balancer pulley. So i guess i need to start over.
i need more info about the marks. my engine has a big wide V arrow on it. i cant see anything else....course i cant get my head in to see under the pulleys.
I'll read related posts while i wait for replies....< Highly Recommended.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-16-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

You say youre poor? Parts stores LEND tools! Compression test is easy as heck.

You want to do the head gaskets while doing a major tune up.....why wait then? You will need to pull the intake again.

PLEASE do the compression test before you go any further! I hate to see you get it back together and find out the head gaskets are blown.

The leak down test I was referring to was just pressurizing the cooling system. I am really big on NOT spending money before knowing whats wrong. Guessing is expensive.

Hope it goes well. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

Swartlkk...OK, i get the big arrow now. I'll try again. You've been big help, much thanks.
also thx to pettyfog and dobyken. And kristoph30 gets a special mention for not wasting things. lmao If i learn anything, i'll post it. thx

Ok, gotcha. I'll take advice anyday. thx
editing now, sorry. thx swartlkk

but its already back together....whats best now?

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-16-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

Great walkthrough for reseting the distributor.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...-timing-24373/

Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

and thx kevlar974

Quick Reply: water in the oil.