2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 06:05 PM
myetman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water pump replacement

My 1996 Blazer is leaking around the water pump, I assume the bearing is going or gone by the sound I hear. Picked one up at the parts store and plan to swap it this weekend.

Any tips?

Do I have to remove the Rad?
Is there any issue with the clutch fan, looks like 4 bots and it comes off.

Thanks in advance.

mark.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Water pump replacement

hey, i just did mine a couple days ago! take the air cleaner box and duct out, take the top half of the fan shroud off, take the belt off, take the 4 nuts off the base of the fan and the pully will come off too. take the hoses off the pump, take the 4 bolts off the pump and pull it off. swap over the hardware on to the new pump (studs, heater hose fitting) clean the mating surfaces real good, and heres the tricky part...use a gasket sealer (i like to use the brush on brown permatex form a gasket) and put it on the pump and on the block. stick the gaskets on the pump and put the top bolts and carefully line up the holes and bolt it on. put everything back together, top off the coolant, let it run and get up to operating temp with the radiator cap off to get all the air out, top it off again and your on your way. hope that helps.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 AM

Thank you for the feed back.

You answered my worst fear, removal of the rad!

How long did it take you and did you replace your hoses as well? Did not pick those up as of yet but the more I think about it the better it sounds.

Looking forward to completing this on the long weekend (Canada Day!)

Mark.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: myetman

Mark.

Ahhh..another Canuck! Welcome...I get to head up to the trailer tomorrow for MY long weekend.[sm=loser.gif]

Old 06-30-2005, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

ORIGINAL: myetman

Mark.

Ahhh..another Canuck! Welcome...I get to head up to the trailer tomorrow for MY long weekend.[sm=loser.gif]
Well, if your trip up north takes you past #7 and Dufferine stop by Friday and you can help swap the unit out. It is heavy and another set of hands would be nice!!!

m.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 PM
FLcruising is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to take out the radiator, just the top half of the fan shroud, then the fan. Then you can get to the waterpump real easy.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

it only took me about an hour to do it. if the hoses look like they may need to be replaced, then yes, now would be a good time. and also check the belt while you have it off.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Got the into it this morning and I agree it is a simple repair. One big question how do you get the fan off?

I tried removing the 4 bolts for the belt pulley does nothing. Just can not turn the fan off. There must be a trick. It is July 1st Canada day here so all the Canadian Tires are closed. I guess I need a special fork tool?

Any short cuts?

Thanks,

Mark.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:48 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

take the belt off and then the fan should just pull off. You may have to jiggle it a little to get it off.
chris

Old 07-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Thanks, I wish it was that easy. For the 1996 4.3 the fan is on threaded shaft. Need some sort of frok tool to hold it while unscrewing it.

Hmmm...

Sucks.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement