2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weep hole by radiator drain plug leaking (Please Help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 11:34 AM
bawdog is on a distinguished road
Default Weep hole by radiator drain plug leaking (Please Help)

I was flushing my coolant yesterday and i think on the third flush coolant started coming out the hole next to the radiator petcock/drain plug.
. Does anyone know how to fix this? Its driving me crazy. I think it started leaking after i squeezed the lower radiator hose by mistake when bleeding the air when i shhouldve squeezed the top. sigh edit: 02 4 banger

Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

That's the hole where the coolant drains out when you open the petcock. There's probably a bad o-ring on the petcock itself. You should be able to pull it all the way out and replace just the o-ring.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:10 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Just remember...this is the drain, so to replace the O-ring will require to empty the radiator and of course be cold.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
That's the hole where the coolant drains out when you open the petcock. There's probably a bad o-ring on the petcock itself. You should be able to pull it all the way out and replace just the o-ring.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM
bawdog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Just remember...this is the drain, so to replace the O-ring will require to empty the radiator and of course be cold.
Yeah its still pouring water out both he hole and the plug hole Heres a pic of the plug, im fairly sure this plug doesnt even use an o ring. I tried some teflon tape and it didn't help much. My radiator isnt oem and i dont know the model so i havent been able to find a replacement plug. I suppose i probably tightened it too tight when i screwed it in one time. My next move is to just permanently seal that hole and the plug hole, what would be the best sealant for this?

Old 07-06-2020, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

So my parents jimmy had a leak there, ended up having a crack going along top to bottom of the drain plug threads. Would only show the crack when tightened. I tried getting an aftermarket plug in and that's what made the crack more visible. Had to swap the rad. For 100$, it's a good investment.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:03 PM
Starting Member
Cars2much is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bawdog

Yeah its still pouring water out both he hole and the plug hole Heres a pic of the plug, im fairly sure this plug doesnt even use an o ring. I tried some teflon tape and it didn't help much. My radiator isnt oem and i dont know the model so i havent been able to find a replacement plug. I suppose i probably tightened it too tight when i screwed it in one time. My next move is to just permanently seal that hole and the plug hole, what would be the best sealant for this?
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same type of drain plug and it doesn't seem to even have an o-ring.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:25 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Did you look for the O ring in the radiator? Not going to be easy to see.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Probably needs an o-ring as mentioned by others but If your going to go the sealant route use leak lock. That stuff is bomb proof and removable:

Amazon Amazon

George

Old 07-18-2022, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
Cars2much is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Did you look for the O ring in the radiator? Not going to be easy to see.
Thanks for the tip! I just found the o-ring in the catch pan.

Quick Reply: Weep hole by radiator drain plug leaking (Please Help)