2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird noise when braking 00 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member
luigi408 is on a distinguished road
Question Weird noise when braking 00 Chevy Blazer

Hi all,

I just replaced my brake pads, and also the Caliper and rotor on the rear driver side. I replaced the caliper because my brakes were stuck and it wasted my brake pads in less than a year.

Now it brakes smooth but when I start braking my car its making clicking noise. I don't know how to describe it but when braking the noise goes like: *press brake* Click..click...click.......click............click. ....................click *full stop*. I can hear it from the back side. I'm not sure if its the passenger or the driver side. It never did that before I changed the brakes and the caliper/rotor on the back driver side.

What is making that noise?

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Did you grease the pins & bleed the brakes afterwards?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member

Yes I did.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Am I correct in saying that you only replaced 1 rear rotor? and that you replaced just the rear pads? if so did you knock the edge of rust off the rotor you didn't replace? Check the metal clips that the pads go into to see if they are hitting off the rotor edge too.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question

Did you put disc quieter behind the pads when you replaced them,They could be moving when you apply the brake.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member

I didn't put anything behind the brakes (is the disk quieter sold separetly?). Yes, I only replaced one rotor on the rear but not the other one. The other one is fine all I did was replace the brake pads. The rear driver side brake I replaced the rotor, the caliper (core), the pins, and the pads. All of them I go at Autozone. The rotor that I didn't replace was cleaned before putting on the brake pads.

Someone helped me listen to the noise and it is coming from the back driver side brake where I replaced the rotor/caliper/pads.

Last edited by luigi408; 10-11-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Autozone should not be in your vocabulary Good quality pads don't need anything sprayed or painted on the back of them. Did you replace the caliper bracket and hardware? (should be replaced with each brake job)

Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry captain Hook

but I disagree with the statement about nothing needs to be sprayed or put on the back of the brake pads.When they wear theres going to be dust accumlate behinds the pads and they are going to move around and make nois,usualy they start squeeking or they can move around making the clicking noise.Its standard proceder when replacing brake pads.Also if you are planning on keeping the veihicle it makes sense to buy premium brake pads and not cheap ones.yes normaly when you buy brake pads they put in a tube of disc quieter but you can buy it seperately also.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 10-11-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Beginning Member

I bought the best ones they had. Yes I replaced all the hardware (pins and brackets). I guess maybe the new brackets aren't doing their job. Not sure what other thing it can be. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
...When they wear theres going to be dust accumlate behinds the pads and they are going to move around and make nois,usualy they start squeeking or they can move around making the clicking noise...
This indicates a problem with the hardware, (shims/rattle clips) not aligning and holding the pads properly. Goo on the back side of the pads might help simply by holding the pads in place, but the root cause is hardware. If the hardware is replaced with each brake service, like it should be, you don't need the goo.

Quick Reply: Weird noise when braking 00 Chevy Blazer