2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird ticking/knocking at startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member
G-FLo is on a distinguished road
Default Weird ticking/knocking at startup

Hey guy wondrin if somone could give me some insight before i spend money to get it inspected.
So my issue is I've own my blazer since August and has started up and ran smooth like its was new off the lot , after comin home yesterday I put maybe about 65-70 miles driving around drop off someone and as im leaving i start my blazer up and it starts knocking like if its the upper end <maybe lifters?> but then after a min or so it goes away and runs normal . I've checked my oil pressure at start up it shoots to about between 40-80 and normal driving stays at about 40 but when idling drops a little below 40 . hope this made sense anyhow I have no clue but the last time i heard something like this on one of my last vehicles , it didnt make it too much longer on that motor . But Ive never experienced where the tick/knock goes away ? ..

On another note as I was getting a oil change I had them fill up my tires and turns out my rear passenger side inside of rim and wheel hub is all covered in some sort of oil . we checked the brake oil and it was full .. anyone have any clue as to what it might be ..

Thanks - FLo

Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM
bigcountry58 is on a distinguished road

Cannot speak on the noise, but your oil pressure is within normal range... As for the oil on your rear wheel, your axle seal needs replaced it is gear oil from your rear dif.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Beginning Member

thanks bigcountry ! Ill check into the seals

Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

my 2000 also does this. right now im running a half can of seafoam in the oil. im hoping that its just a difty lifter.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-lifter-61135/

Last edited by red06sc; 10-20-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by red06sc
my 2000 also does this. right now im running a half can of seafoam in the oil. imhoping that its just a difty lifter.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-lifter-61135/

is it still making the noise after the seamfoam ?
so you just poured half the bottle straight where you put the oil also ..
I was recommended this bottle of Lucas treatment said will quiet the knock but i decided not to put it in as I'd rather figure out the problem instead of just quiet it down

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Mike7075 is on a distinguished road

Many times a very small exhaust manifold leak will make a ticking sound like a noisy lifter. When the engine heats up and the cast iron expands, the leak will seal and seem to go away. You can listen around with a hose in your ear to act as a stethoscope. If the ticking goes away after only a minute, it's possible it could be a lifter as discussed. Either way, a stethoscope can help you pinpoint where it's coming from.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I HIGHLY don't recommend putting seafoam in your oil, yes it cleans everything nicely BUT when it cleans everything, chunks of crap can end up in your oil pan and then get sucked into the oil pan filter and make you loose oil pressure thus ruining your engine if you dont catch it. although i have never heard of this happening in a blazer i have heard of it happening in other cars. just a warning.

And you said you had your oil changed, did the type of oil they put in change from what is normally put in it? i had this happen and i had a noisy lifter, put in some heavier weight oil and havent heard anything from the lifter sense.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

Ive been doing some searching online on others forums and such and was wonderin are we supposed to have any special type of filter that doesnt drain oil all the way once the car is shut off

Old 10-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by G-FLo
is it still making the noise after the seamfoam ?
so you just poured half the bottle straight where you put the oil also ..
I was recommended this bottle of Lucas treatment said will quiet the knock but i decided not to put it in as I'd rather figure out the problem instead of just quiet it down
Its only been in there a few days, but i think its working. I have a coolant leaking from the intake gasket so i might just replace them when i tear it all down.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had that same sound on my 2000 LT Blazer 4x4 4.3. I did run a can of seafoam through, (Put it the oil) and it did quiet it down for awhile but the sound came back. Aside from that ticking noise the Blazer runs fine. And now with 105K on it. I'm not going to try and fix something thats not broke. I think the seafoam did its job for I have a small pin hole on the bottom of my muffer and you should see the crap that comes out of there.

Last edited by dman001948; 10-22-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling errors and grammer

Quick Reply: Weird ticking/knocking at startup