2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What is this?

Thanks you have been a great help now i can replace it. that has been the code i have been gettin and could not figure out were it was.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point

The code i'm getting is P0440, P0443

Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0440 is a generic EVAP control system code and typically can be caused by a faulty gas cap or vent solenoid.

P0443 shows as a EVAP Purge solenoid malfunction of some sort, but it doesn't show up in my manuals for my old truck. Possibly an OBD1.5 thing for your '95..

I think this is accurate...
DTC P0443 EVAP control system purge control valve circuit malfunction
DETECTION CONDITION
The PCM monitors the input voltages from the purge solenoid valve. If the voltage at PCM terminal 18 remains low or high, the PCM determines that the purge solenoid valve circuit has a malfunction.
Diagnostic support note
This is an continuous monitor (CCM).
MIL illuminates if PCM detects above malfunction condition in two consecutive drive cycles or in one drive cycle while DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in PCM.
PENDING CODE is available if PCM detects the above malfunction condition during first drive cycle.
FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
DTC is stored in the PCM memory.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
Purge solenoid valve malfunction
Connector or terminal malfunction
Short to GND between purge solenoid valve terminal B and PCM terminal 18
Open circuit between main relay terminal C and purge solenoid valve terminal A
Short to power circuit between purge solenoid valve terminal B and PCM terminal 18
Open circuit between purge solenoid valve terminal B and PCM terminal 18
PCM malfunction
Nothing points to a bad canister. I'd first clear the codes and tighten the gas cap. See if that helps.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Beginning Member
wolv2401 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still have some problems with my 98 blazer. I just removed the charcoal canister to see if I could sense any issues but don't see anything. A little gas did pour out of that canister which I don't think is all that great.

The main issue is that when the charcoal canister is in place, I get a lot of fuel leaking out of the evap purge valve. I replaced that for $22 but this didn't help.

Any ideas?