2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHAT KIND OF SPARK PLUGS ARE YOU USING..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
muleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHAT KIND OF SPARK PLUGS ARE YOU USING..

I KNOW CHEVY CALLS FOR AC-DELCO,, WHAT IS EVERYONE USING... GOOD OR BAD LUCK WITH WHAT U GOT... IM GOIN TO TUNE MINE UP BUT HATE TO PAY 4+ A PLUG AND OVER 100$ FOR WIRES... THANKS..

Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: WHAT KIND OF SPARK PLUGS ARE YOU USING..

AC-Delco or NGK Double Platinum plugs have been what most of us are using. The iridium plugs with platinum ground electrodes will give you better spark consistancy with the same long life of the double platinum plugs. If you go with single platinum plugs, don't expect them to last over 35k miles. If you buy regular copper plugs, don't expect them to last over 25k miles. The Double Platinums and the premium Iridium plugs should last 75-100k miles depending on conditions.

But please let us know what it is you are driving so we can make the appropriate recommendations. The newer motors are really made to run well with the double platinums.

If you don't mind changing out the plugs often, then you can go with the coppers.

But I'd have to recommend that you check the condition of the plugs before just ditching them. Double platinum plugs can go a long time without deminishing the spark intensity enough to notice.

Also, the Belden Premium wires available at NAPA are some good wires. Lifetime warranty is very nice as well!

Beat ya by 27 seconds Riddle!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the best results you should stick with the AC/Delco double platinum plugs. Owners of 4.3's seem to get the bestresponse with them. As for wires, I read where somebody got AC/Delco wires on Ebay for $40. If that is still available, that's what I would do, but otherwise I would just get high quality wires from the auto supply.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Beat ya by 27 seconds Riddle!
Well, that's because you're probably younger and quicker than me.[sm=lol.gif]

Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I would go with the ACDelco Platinums, they seem to never screw anything up from what I have heard and I have had them for 5,000 miles since i put my new ones in. I pulled out the originals that had 125k miles on them and still looked good. I would highly recommend these plugs, once I replaced them and the wires I got 2mpg better on the highway by switching to this plugs.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point

It would definitely depend on the year.
If it came with a platinum, put a platinum back in. If you put a regular copper plug in it, your gas mileage will drop, your will loose power, it might run a bit rough, and you will be replacing 3-4 sets of them in the same time as if you just put platinum in it.
If it came with a standard copper plug, then stick with a copper. Your stock ignition system isn't made for a platinum plug. The same spark is coming out from that coil, so the ignition systemactually has to work harder to get a better spark for the plug.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 AM
muleman is an unknown quantity at this point

yea its a 1996 with 103k on it so i think it came with the plats thanks....

Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 PM
jeepman is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy I am not sure about opening this can of worms or not.....ac delco, (dephi) autolite, mighty,motorcraft, (ford)screamin eagle, (harley) split fire. buell, john deere.. all come down the same line at the factory, (platinium included) Accept now many are made in mexicali , mexico. And if I tell you any more I may loose my job quicker, than it being outsourced.