2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is that "ROARING" sound I hear on slow turns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Beginning Member
F T P is on a distinguished road
Default What is that "ROARING" sound I hear on slow turns?

I have a 1998 Blazer, sometimes I hear a "roaring" sound when making a slow turn (such as into parking spots etc.). Generally it is on right hand turns, but sometimes on left turns too. The noise seems to come and go, and sometimes it is a quiet noise but when it's loud people stop in their tracks and look.

Please, Please help!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

4WD switched on? Mine was accidentally switched on the other day and I didn't notice til I turned. Right handed turns are tighter than left hand turns which could be why you're noticing it more often when turning right.

I notice the feeling more than the sound though.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member

No, the 4x4 is not on.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member
White954X4 is on a distinguished road

I think I get that too, might be your ball joint I think I have one going out on my truck. Kinda sounds like a groan, but mine is occasionally.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I might be off but ball joints are gennerally more of a snap/crunching sound from my experience. When you say ROARING, that instantly made me think wheel bearing.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Beginning Member
White954X4 is on a distinguished road

You might be right monkey, maybe I was thinking bearing. I think ball joints make a popping noise.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

I failed to mention that when the noise starts I can stop the vehicle and make the noise by turning the steering wheel back and forth.
Also, the sound could be described as a "groan".

Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for a bad power steering pump. Have you checked the fluid level in it?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
I vote for a bad power steering pump. Have you checked the fluid level in it?
I 2nd that, whenever I turn the wheel all the way (either way) I get a hum from the power steering pump but only if the wheel is turned all the way

Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member

Fluid is good, but I think I am going to replace the pump and left wheel bearing (it chirps when I go down the road). I got the pump response from www.JustAnswer.com seems like a decent website, we'll see if my credit card gets abused - they are mechanics that you pay to answer ?'s. I offered $13 - the minimum they ask for.
I'll update in a day or two after I do the work to let you all know. Next time I'm asking my ?'s here first! - Oh I'll get a pic of my truck on here too, it's a rare color - metallic copper - looks nice. Gotta wait for the sun to come back out for a good pic!

Quick Reply: What is that "ROARING" sound I hear on slow turns?