2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what would you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what would you recommend

i just got a 95 LT. i have to replace the CPI unit and i figure while im at it i should get a code scanner for it. what would you recommend.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what would you recommend

You have to be careful with your choice of scanners. '95s aren't truely OBD2, nor are they OBD1. Some have had luck with some OBD2 scanners, but others haven't...

Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Starting Member

ive been looking at Equus EPI3140. i dont have a laptop so i cant get the real fancy kinds. i have a equus digital timing light,compression tester, vacuum guage/fuel pressure regulator for my other vehicles and i am happy with their products so far. i have also seen the EPI3120 and im not sure what the diffrence is. anyone have this scanner that can comment?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Starting Member

what kind of hand scanners do you have ? and how do you like them ?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever had true OBD2 scanners. I started off with an Autotap and now have an AutoEnginuity scantool. The AutoEnginuity can go through just about all of the same diagnostic steps as the dealer Tech2 scanner at a fraction of the cost. I do not know if this will work with the OBD1.5 '95s though...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Starting Member

the thing i like about the eqqus is that it has several connectors (im guessing one of them will work) but looking at the 40 vs the 20 i cant see any diffrence and all the sites ive checked say the same thingfor the descriptionsbut its around a $50 diffrence. ive seen the cheap-o $50 scanner and im assuming it cant read near as many codes? i just dont see the price diffrence between $50-$300 if both of them read codes. obviously the $300 will be better but how much more will they do? are the scan tools you are talkign about hand held or do you need a laptop?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Both the Autotap & AutoEnginuity scanners require a laptop.

THIS LINK should help you out with the comparison. If it were me and I was in the market for a hand held OBD2/1 scantool under $300, I would go with the 3140 for the live data recording. I would contact Equus to make sure that either of them will work with your model and if they have another scan tool that may be cheaper that will work. They should be able to assist you.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Starting Member

heres a link to the 3140

http://www.gosale.com/4932631/equus-...nostic#reviews

Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Administrator

The link I posted above is to the Equus site where you can see the comparison of all of the OBD2 capable scan tools. That would be where I would get any and all information from.

*EDIT* - I did just take a look at the owners manual for the 3140 and it is VERY unclear as to whether it will work with a '95... It says that it must be OBD2 compliant which will be listed on the emissions label underhood. They are very careful about their wording on this...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Starting Member

i emailed equus last night about the scanner. ther responded back saying that some are "jump ahead" vehicles. neither OBD I or II like you stated and they do not offer anythign now for these vehicles. and pretty much my only option is the higher end scanners simmilar to what shops have. does anyone have a decent handheld for a 95? this is why i like my judge and C10. i dont have to worry about computers at all.