2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Whats the difference between Monroe sensi-trac shocks and monroe Reflex shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road
Default Whats the difference between Monroe sensi-trac shocks and monroe Reflex shocks?

anyone know the difference between Monroe sensi-trac shocks and monroe Reflex shocks? are they different? or the same? just maybe people call them by a differnt name but are the same shock and part numebr? im considering them for the front of my truck....

Old 11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

There difference: about $10. reflexes area gonna cost you about $40 more in all. That being said, I got the reflexes and LOVE then (vs the 170k mil stock jobs I had...) i would reccomend the reflexes based off what ever i found suggesting them and causing me to buy them BTW i think i got $40 or $60 or something as a rebate....

Here is what the site says:

The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® truck shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™ system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle.

These features allow the Monroe Sensa-Trac truck shock absorber to adjust more rapidly to changing road and weight conditions than any other available shock absorber.

The result: enhanced control with uncompromised ride comfort.
1.All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
2.Full Displaced Valving: Valving automatically adjusts to road extremes to provide consistency and ride comfort.
3.1-3/8" Bore: Larger bore than most shocks to provide more efficient and consistent control.
4.Fluon Banded Piston: Works with the existing groove tube technology to provide responsiveness to changing road conditions.
5.Unique Groove Tube - PSD: Precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube perform like an additional stage of valving for optimum light truck ride tuning.
6.Nitrogen Gas Charged: For improved ride and handling, helps maintain tire to road contact by reducing aeration.
7.5/8" Diameter Piston Rod: Nitrocarburized rod* for long service life.
8.Special Seal: "Self-lubricating" fluid seal designed to retain gas without excessive wear or friction.

The Monroe Reflex® truck shock absorber with the patented Impact Sensor™ Technology combines specially tuned valving with a Fluon banded piston.

The Impact Sensor™ valve has the ability to sense acceleration to improve the handling, safety, and overall ride characteristics of sport-utility vehicles, mini-vans and light trucks. The Impact Sensor™ base valve will sense a bump in the road and automatically adjust the shock to absorb the impact, leaving the shock with greater control when it is needed.

The features of the Monroe Reflex truck shock absorber make it the superior shock for improved handling, safety, and comfort in all road conditions.
1.Impact Sensor™ Technology: Innovative valving provides greater control for handling, while improving ride comfort.
2.All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
3.Full Displaced Valving: Better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles of the unit for a smooth comfortable ride.
4.Fluon Banded Piston: Enhances responsiveness to changing road conditions.
5.Nitrogen Gas Charged: For improved ride and handling, helps maintain tire to road contact by reducing aeration.
6.2 1/4" or 2" Diameter Reserve Tube: Allows more fluid carrying capacity for a cooler running unit.
7.1-3/8" Bore: Lower operating pressure than standard 1" bore units.
8.5/8" Piston Rod: Heavy duty nitrocarburized rod* for long service life.
9.Special Seal: "Self-lubricating" fluid seal designed to retain gas without excessive wear or friction.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Different shocks as Curt has detailed. In my direct experience with the two, the Reflex shocks were firmer than the Sensa-Trac shocks. I installed a set of Sensa-Trac shocks all the way around on my cousin's old '98 Blazer. I put Reflex shocks in the front and the Sensa-Trac w/ load assist (coil over) shocks in the back of my old '00 Bravada. I liked this combination a lot better than the Sensa-Trac's at all four corners.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 AM

so is the Reflex shock harder to pull apart or push down on? or both? also what store sells the Reflex shock and has in stock? only because i would like to go in the store and physically check it in my hands before buying it. who sells it?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You likely will not be able to "feel" the difference with the shocks in your hands. The valving activates at different impact levels to dampen the suspension system.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle: You have the coil over on you truck? How do you like them, do they ride really firm? I was told they are only for heavy towing....

Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

I usually carried between 150# and 250# of tools in the back so it road perfectly fine with the coil overs in. Even when empty, it wasn't like a empty dump truck. It was distinctly more truck-ish (there I go makin' up words again) of a ride, but not objectionable. But like I said, it was few and far between when I didn't have any weight in the back of that truck.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

you can get the reflexes in a lot of places. i got mine a napa. got o monroe's website and see their dealers. there are a bunch

Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx Kyle, When I get extra $ I'll get the coilovers.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:14 AM

ok i went to advance and had the monroe sensi tracs in my hand. i have to say i like way better than gabreil ultras and gabreial regulars. the sensitracs compress really easy but its hard to extand them. which mean they will handle taking bumps really good and at the same time stop the truck from boucing.... the only thing i did not like was that the bushing sleeves had teeth on each of the sides...i would grind them flat and put washers there intead.... i dont like the idea of teeth cutting into my frame.....

Quick Reply: Whats the difference between Monroe sensi-trac shocks and monroe Reflex shocks?