2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what's that sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005 | 12:18 AM
blazergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what's that sound?

My blazer is making a pecking sound when I accelerate, especially up hills. Is it a valve clapping or something else. Does that equal a complete engine tear down? Probably costs an arm and a leg too, huh? It runs fine other than that issue. Hope it's something less serious. Any ideas?

Old 10-01-2005 | 03:10 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what's that sound?

I really hope you don't have what I have. There's been a lot of debate on what I should do about mine. You can read my past posts
regarding swapping an engine and the knocking sound. I was told that I needed a new engine by my mechanic, but I thnk it can be rebuilt. Yours may be a less serious problem than mine though-mine is in the lower engine. I hope it isn't the same...

Old 10-02-2005 | 11:39 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

blazergirl, it's possible you just have a stuck lifter. Change your oil using a lighter weight oil and a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil.

More details would also help. Does it only do it going up hills? Can you tell where the sound is originating? How many miles do you have and what kind of condition is the truck in? Stuff like that could help us help you more.

Old 10-03-2005 | 02:07 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta agree.
If it is just a ticking noise, that is simple to fix.
Seafoam is another great product for sticky lifters, vavles.

Old 10-03-2005 | 09:29 PM

Upon further investigation, yes it is only doing it when going up hills and really only when the engine is good and hot. This weekend my dad and I put in some Rislone and it seems a lot better. While under the hood, we noticed that the right sid e of the radiator was leaking, bad enough that the reservior was empty and the radiator was low (though it wasn't yet running anywhere near hot). We put some stop leak in and filled it up again. When it got home, water came pouring out. So now we are trying to determine if it is just the tank or the entire radiator. Probably will replace the entire thing just to be safe.

Also was idling a little rough and after reading an earlier post about EGR valves, we went to work. The EGR had apparently been recently cleaned, probably right before I purchased it. What didn't happen though: the new gasket was not installed properly and we're not sure it was even bolted down at all. The gasket had never sealed itself, so we returned it to it's rightful place and so far it is running a ton better.

Oh well, one thing at a time.

Old 10-03-2005 | 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your radiator leak could be as simple as a leaky hose. I am not a fan of stop leak, I prefer pepper. Works better then stop leak. I kid you not. Short story.
While traveling with some friends on vacation. We were about 3 hours into a 9hour drive. I noticed his engine was running hot. (I rode with him and his wife rode with mine). Anyways we pull into the nearest gas station and comtemplated our options when a nice older amn offered up a suggestion. Pepper. We had a couple of packets left over from McDonalds lunch. Grapped 2 gallons of anti-freeze and 2 gallons of distilled water. Topped off the radiator. Emptied 2 packets of pepper into the radiator, grabbed a handfull just in case and headed out on our mery little way. Not only did the pepper hold 450 miles to our vaction destination. I heald the 500 miles back home and all summer long. His conscious got to him and he finally had it reparied.

Too find the leak, look for white residual. That is where it leaks. If you do replace the whole radiaotr, I highly recommend all new hoses, new thermostat, new water pump, and flush the eintire system. good to go for another 100,000 miles with regular coolant flushes.

Old 10-04-2005 | 12:15 AM

thanks I'll pass on the info to my dad. He has the blazer right now. It's definitely not the hoses, they look pretty new. It's coming from the plastic housing next to the hoses. He suspects it might just be the plastic case and not the whole radiator. But we may be better off to replace the whole thing. Especially with 10 years and 132,000 on it. There was evidence of stop leak that had been used several time s before. It seems to have been an ongoing problem that had temporary fixes. Probably best to replace it.

Shannon

Old 10-04-2005 | 02:46 AM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: blazergirl

It seems to have been an ongoing problem that had temporary fixes. Probably best to replace it.

Shannon
You got that right, and your welcome.

Old 10-04-2005 | 10:34 PM

it was definitely the radiator that was bad and it is being fixed as I type lol. Even if it had only been the tank, I think I would feel much better knowing that the whole thing was replaced. I'm sure I'll be rolling again soon![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-04-2005 | 11:54 PM

[sm=icon_rock.gif] I got my blazer back just now. It's all fixed now. Who Hooo!!

Quick Reply: what's that sound?