2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What's up with checking my Transmission Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Beginning Member
lizardking88mph is on a distinguished road
Angry What's up with checking my Transmission Fluid??

Ok, so i check it hot and it comes up just below the lowest hole in the dip stick. So I say to myself, "oh i better add just a bit" So I add less than 1/4 quart of fluid. Then I recheck and no matter what it's like ubove the top hole. It's like it jumps. Then I can use my aftermarket pan with a drain plug and let some out. Maybe an 1/8 of a quart. Still above the hole. I let out anther 1/8 or so. Then I'm back below the bottom one. HELP ME!! I can't get in between those damn marks no matter what I do. What is wrong here? Is a cruel joke? Thanks for any insight.

- Matt 98 Blazer

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I saw the same thing.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Are you checking the fluid with the vehicle running or not? It must be running for an accurate reading.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I add a bit then check it the next day. gives the fluid time to run down the tube.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kristoph30
I add a bit then check it the next day. gives the fluid time to run down the tube.
yeah you need to wait a bit. its really bad on vans where the dipstick tube like 6 feet long. your better off waiting like 5 minutes then checking, wiping it off and checking, do that a few times.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member

ok it just doesn't make any sense. I'm adding like a tenth or a twelth of a quart at a time waiting 5 minutes inbetween checking. And it's just right below the low dot. Then all of the sudden, after one add, it jumps to just over the dot. WTF!!! I even waited a day in between. Is my transmission haunted? So frustrating. What could be causing this? This is the 4l60e by the way. Everytime I go over I let out just a bit and it drops below the low dot again. Should I let it out this time? Cause between a tenth of a quart it's suddenly overfilled?!! Thanks for the help guys!!

- Matt

Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

do you got a leak ?

or your trans is an atf fluid aholic

Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Beginning Member

No, there are no leaks. I'm draining out a little and it drops below the dot. Then I add a little and it's like if I put a thimble full in, it skips over the whole range of the dots and goes up past the top one. This is just craziness. I'm about to just leave it at just barely above the top dot and leave it alone. Maybe I should try a new dipstick. Thanks.

- Matt

Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lizardking88mph
No, there are no leaks. I'm draining out a little and it drops below the dot. Then I add a little and it's like if I put a thimble full in, it skips over the whole range of the dots and goes up past the top one. This is just craziness. I'm about to just leave it at just barely above the top dot and leave it alone. Maybe I should try a new dipstick. Thanks.

- Matt
No reason to try a new dipstick. It's just the nature of the beast. Vehicle running, level surface and check level. Add if needed, then WAIT If you check it right after adding, as others have said, you will get a FALSE reading due to fluid in the tube. The dipstick just wipes against the fluid you just added - thus the Oops, I've overfilled reading.

Add what you think you need, then check after your next drive. Or, the next morning.

Aaron

Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

You're checking it running I see, but in Park? I've always checked them in neutral but the 4L60e says in Park & trans hot.
If it's in neutral I suppose the fluid can jump all over the place.

Quick Reply: What's up with checking my Transmission Fluid??