2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wheel caliber sicking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
bumpin_records is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wheel caliber sicking

I have a 96 s10 blazer. I jsut changed the calibers,brake pads, and rotors. A month later the left caliber started sticking " I would take my foot off the accelerator and the car would be stopping itself like im appling the brakes. I started to smell brake pads. check the temps on both front wheels and the driver wheel was twice as hot as the passenger side so the driver side is sticking. I took it apart and took the caliber back to get a exchange. Well they gave me a new one and in installed it. It is still doing it. driver side sticking. what could be wronge? Thanks guys

Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: wheel caliber sicking

Did you clean and lube the slider pins when you did the repairs on both brakes?
And [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forum!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm betting that your brake hoses (flex lines) are bad. When flex lines age, the inner lining can swell, choking off the flow of fluid into AND out of the caliper. I just went through this same problem on a friends '93 Taurus. New calipers and one wheel was hanging up and bleeding the brakes was arduously long. Replaced the flex line and they bled out like a stuck pig and released properly.

One surefire way to tell is to bleed the brakes the two person way. Have someone in the truck pumping up the brakes and holding the pedal down as you open up the bleeder. If you don't get a fountain of fluid when you open the bleeder and the associated pedal to the floor, then your line has deteriorated and collapsed.

If this is the case, you have to be VERY careful with the connection between the hard line and the flex line. These like to practically weld themselves together. I ended up having to heat the lines on my friends Taurus to get them loose and heating takes some patience and care to do without messing things up even more. I suggest you start spraying these connections down with a good penetrating oil now (PB Blaster).

Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM

thanks for the welcome rriddle3, and swartlkkyou are absolutely right. it took a very very long time to bleed the brakes i mean longer than it ever took so im betting you are right. tommorrow i will check into this. thanks alot guys. first day and i got help i love forums.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I could help!! That's what we're here for!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:28 PM

well i took of the brake hose and i couldnt even blow threw it. so it was the hose. thanks again guys y ou was a very big help.[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 10-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Glad we could help!