2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

When I park my 4.3V6 for 2 weeks, I have valve ticking noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 AM
monette999 is on a distinguished road
Default When I park my 4.3V6 for 2 weeks, I have valve ticking noise!!!

Dear All. when I park my 1997 Blazer with Vortec 4.3V6 for 2 weeks, I have valve ticking noise!!!

This noise will go away when it runs for a while. (1 min).

I have replaced the head gaskets and were tighten the rocker nuts with the recomended torque.

What kind of options do I have? Re-tighten the rocker nuts?
Change to better oil.

Thank you for your advice.

BR
Bob

Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

could be a sticky lifter, When sitting for a couple of week the oil drained off some. May go away on its own. Try an oil change with synthetic oil

Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by monette999
Dear All. when I park my 1997 Blazer with Vortec 4.3V6 for 2 weeks, I have valve ticking noise!!!

This noise will go away when it runs for a while. (1 min).

I have replaced the head gaskets and were tighten the rocker nuts with the recomended torque.

What kind of options do I have? Re-tighten the rocker nuts?
Change to better oil.

Thank you for your advice.

BR
Bob

You have a lifter that is sticking in the collapsed condition. As the oil pressure comes up and warms up, it comes loose. What weight oil are you using and how long has it been in there? If you have fairly thick oil, like 10w40 weight or better, change to a thinner oil like 10w30. Do you change your oil yourself? If you do, or the oil change place is close, like a block or two away, pour a quart of transmission fluid into the oil and drive it around the block. NO MORE! ATF is a really thin oil and will clean a lot of crud out of an engine. If you leave it in there very long, it will gall bearings too so don't dawdle with it.

So, warm the engine up prior to an oil change. Add 1 quart ATF. Run the engine for a SHORT period and change the oil and filter. Run the engine about 100 miles and change it again with your final selection of oil. You might be surprised how crappy the oil comes out the second time. Don't bother with synthetic until you do your final change. Considering how much it costs, you don't want to change it too soon.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
monette999 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your advice.

I will go for an oil change. Maybe it got to thin & it leaks.

BR
Bob

Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by monette999
Thank you all for your advice.

I will go for an oil change. Maybe it got to thin & it leaks.

BR
Bob
Oil can get thin. If you're getting too much fuel into the engine it can thin the oil. It sounds more like the lifter is gummed up a bit. Fresh clean oil can work wonders for this.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Love these old engines-of course they make noise upon a no start for several weeks!
some folks say to rev them up to at least 2500 rpm after sitting for a while,found this to be true,regardless of temperature! Gotta get the oil upstairs,fast!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not for nothing but a QUART of ATF in the motor? Do you know how much that will smoke? (I know I have done it, never again) they call the fire department on me thing my house was on fire!!! Then the trick of getting all of it out of your motor is no small task, it can lead to blowing up your motor....I do not recommend that or ever would and its suppose to clean your injectiors out also...the price is way to high to pay.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM
spittybays

Follow the grouch but exactly how he say's.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by dman001948
Not for nothing but a QUART of ATF in the motor? Do you know how much that will smoke? (I know I have done it, never again) they call the fire department on me thing my house was on fire!!! Then the trick of getting all of it out of your motor is no small task, it can lead to blowing up your motor....I do not recommend that or ever would and its suppose to clean your injectiors out also...the price is way to high to pay.

You don't drive it much. Just enough to circulate it. Sakes, there are things I've done but new cars won't allow. I remember once where a vandal had poured a couple of quarts of oil into an engine. It was a '69 Camaro with glass packs. The rings were so gummed up, it was spraying for mosquitos. I took it out in the country, hooked up a tachometer to watch. I took the air cleaner off, cranked the engine up to 3000 rpm and poured a can of Bon Ami into the carburetor. It blew white powder out the pipes, then some blue smoke, then more powder. That engine barely used a drop of oil after cleaning the rings like that. Try it now with a cat. equipped engine and you'll destroy expensive parts but on the old stuff, it worked fine.

Yes, I'm old.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kudos to grouch! Actually witnessed this happen with an old Buick nailhead and it worked to keep that motor a daily runner before mechanical issues brought it to a sad sudden stop. I really can't with any recomendation condone this line of attack,but when one does the homework,it might work on an old neglected engine...I'll still stick with Marvel thanks...

Quick Reply: When I park my 4.3V6 for 2 weeks, I have valve ticking noise!!!