2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where to find odb2 specs? 96 Blazer 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Beginning Member
Kimchoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to find odb2 specs? 96 Blazer 4.3

I have the Digimoto odb2 software and am using it with my laptop to diagnose an issue on my 96 S-10 blazer 4.3eng. I get a lot of data and i need to know what the acceptable specs are for my vehicle. I can find info on the codes through google and understand all of that. But what I dont know is the parameters for all of those shrt term/ long term, etc... readings that I am getting. I've read up on the entire process of odb2 and have an understanding of the parameters that I am caputuring. But have nothing to compare my readings to. I wouldnt know what reading is acceptable ofor MAF or ignition timing or any of that. I have not bought any books yet but only tried to search using google. No luck. All kinds of info on code failures, but nothing for comarison. Been searching for days now.

Is this info somehow protected by the industry so that car owners MUST eventually come to them for interpretation? I've got this great display staring at me in the face with all kinds of data, but no specs to compare to. Hope I am making sense of my inquiry.
I'd just like a link or some guidance where to go look. I dont want to bother anyone with why. I'll figure that out.

Thanks,,
Gary

Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Where to find odb2 specs? 96 Blazer 4.3

The reason why much of this information is not found is because many people do not have the tools to read them and a lot of the information really depends on the engine being scanned. Each individual engine has different values for a norm as the PCM absorbs the manufacturing variations of the various sensors through general operation.

Some information for checks and balances can be found in the factory service manuals as well as through services like AllDataDIY.com.

For instance, under the description and operation of the MAF sensor:
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor measures the amount of air entering the engine. The VCM uses this information to determine the operating condition of the engine in order to control the fuel delivery. A large quantity of air indicates an acceleration. A small quantity of air indicates a deceleration or an idle. The scan tool reads the MAF value and displays the MAF value in grams per second (gm/sec). At idle, the MAF value should read between 5 gm/sec - 7 gm/sec on a fully warmed up engine. The values should change rather quickly on acceleration, but values should remain fairly stable at any given RPM.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:57 AM
Beginning Member
Kimchoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Um, yes. I imagine it IS different for each engine. Nothing new there. Inst that the point of having a set of data that is in an "acceptable range" and then someone can compare? I can google any subject as you have done above and find out what it does. Thats not an issue. For someone that has mechanical experience, its pretty straightforward to understand the concept.
Even if I googled EVERY parameter, it still doesn't tell me what the acceptable range is for the parmaters for my 96 S-10 4.3. I dont need to know what it does, I need to know what the acceptable range is. I have this nice $100.00 software running providing me with all this great diagnostic data and its unusable without data to compare to. So I guess it is "protected" somewhere.
Let me ask you this, just where exactly would the dealer mechanic look to compare data? Surely he/she doesnt have every vehicle GM ever built, committed to memory Surely there must be something? Is it built into there 600 billion dollar super duper diagnostic machine that they charge you $100.00 to "read"?

I don't want to ask here what each individual parameter should compare to. I just want a spec sheet but I suppose you're telling me that isn't possible?

My software reports data as an excel file. If I were to post that for download over on my website, would it be possible for someone here to take a quick look at it? Even if it turns out to be normal data, I would be happy to make up a separate website with this data alone on it for folks to look at for a 96 S-10 4.3 in the future. I would further be happy to post anyone's "acceptable" data for a sticky link in the DIY section.

Thanks,,

Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You must have been so blinded by my first paragraph which was based on MY EXPERIENCE that you failed to continue reading the rest of my response where I detailed where "acceptable ranges" can be found. Do not worry, happens all the time, but it only happens once per thread and I am out. If you are looking for the holy grail of OBD2 information for your vehicle, keep looking and do tell the rest of us when you find it. I have given two sources and for the sake of repeating myself, I will do so again. Factory Service Manuals AND AllDataDIY.com both have what "acceptable" ranges are for given sensors. I looked up a few, but do not have the time to cover them all. But I guess you just want something handed over to you with no sweat off your brow. Sorry.

As far as putting everything into a DIY thread, that would take a VERY long time to amass that information given the changes through out production that would affect sensor values. Quite frankly, it would be something only used by probably 5% of the people here (and I am being generous). I will continue to dedicate my time where I feel it is best. If you end up purchasing either an AllDataDIY.com account or a Factory Service Manual set for your truck and want to put all of the information together into one post, I am sure that it would be appreciated.

Happy New Year! Done.

BTW, attitude is everything. Good luck.