2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where is the fuel pump relay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:11 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Where is the fuel pump relay?

Yeah I dont quite get how the wire under the carpet is doing? FIX IT.

Another good reason for the safety involving oil pressure is fairly simple to understand and I hope lots of you read this part.

If your car is in a wreck and the motor konks out like it would in many a front end collision; it shuts off the fuel pump.. The most likely place for a leak in a front end wreck is right next to all that electrical junk, under the hood. Its real wise for the fuel to stop right away when the engine stalls.

This safety device was actually being used on dragstrips before it went onto regular cars. I dont remember it being required, but I certainly remember a real solid need for it being required. I was heavily in favor of the 20 dollar switch but most folks didnt want it.

Most of us used heavy duty mechanical pumps, but some of the A and B stock classes would cheat with electric backups. In other words, we had electric fuel pumps in stock cars. They needed to because standing things on end would cause fuel supply problems. The problem was, no one wanted to admit they used them.

Watched a 70 hemi cuda pump about most of a tank full of fuel onto the ground when the girlfriend of the owner was getting gas on her own. Attendant made her turn car off, I dont think she was supposed too? Somehow the pump stayed on when she shut down the car. Too much already on the ground to simply start it back up. Shut off (turn on switch) was a secret (to us and her, anyway)and not anywhere in sight. Non of us could shut the darn thing off. Just hosed the drive. Kept away the gawkers.

Good place for a 20 dollar (plus handling charge at summit) item.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry, I didn't word all that right and I confused myself already[:@]
I will start from the beginning and try to explain it better this time.

I connected the battery to the engine. Started the engine. Disconnected the battery and I think I left the engine running for like 30min on idle. Then I put a seat inside from my 2000 blazer (I didn't have anything inside of it) and tried to connect the 97 connector that's on the floor, to the seat connector. Right that instant the engine cut off! I don't know if it was me trying to connect the seat shut the engine off or was it the too much voltage to the fuel pump.

I change the oil it the blazer about 2 days ago, so I don't think it is the oil pressure thing. Not sure though.

I think that the problem is in some relay or fuse or something like that, maybe the fuel pump died. But then again, it started 3 times today and worked for about 5sec. and cut off. If it was the fuel pump, wouldn't it not work AT ALL? All fuses are good.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Starting Member

About the wiring under the seat, I don't know if it has anything to do with it. I tried that now and it don't work anymore, so ignore it. I highly doubt the problem is in that.

Hey "blazingsadle" Can I reach you at AOL? maybe it would be easier to talk about this.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:01 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking aobut your harness under the drivers seat.
Are you trying to connect teh black box or an electric seat?

I am not too familiar with the black box and its functions, however it is located under the drivers seat.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:06 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: blazingsadle

Watched a 70 hemi cuda pump about most of a tank full of fuel onto the ground when the girlfriend of the owner was getting gas on her own. Attendant made her turn car off, I dont think she was supposed too? Somehow the pump stayed on when she shut down the car. Too much already on the ground to simply start it back up. Shut off (turn on switch) was a secret (to us and her, anyway)and not anywhere in sight. Non of us could shut the darn thing off. Just hosed the drive. Kept away the gawkers.
i remember those days.
Had a 442 Olds, and a 69 Chevelle myself. Buddy had the Secretaries car. And another buddy like the cudas and challengers. another liked the AMC Javelin, and then there were a few that liked the old boats. Not too mention a few were into the custom vans. Ah, the good old days.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Was thinking aobut your harness under the drivers seat.
Are you trying to connect teh black box or an electric seat?

I am not too familiar with the black box and its functions, however it is located under the drivers seat.
Black box? what is that? I was trying to connect the electric seat. Why does the fuel pump sometimes work and sometimes doesn't work (make buzzing sound)? If it was a fuse or a relay then it wouldn't work at all, right? I did buy a new fuel pump relay but dropped it on the floor[:@] (accidentally), would it still work or I have to get a new one? I don't know much about relays but maybe something broke off inside of it and now it ether makes contact or doesn't (the possible explanation for my intermittent buzzing of fuel pump).

Any guesses of what could it be?

Oh, another thing, in my glove compartment, I have 3 relays there. One is grey (fuel pump relay) and other two are black, what are those for? Is there any more relays or fuses (except in the side of the dash) in my 97 blazer like under the hood or anywhere else???

Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

I HATE THIS STUPID BLAZER!!![:@][:@][:@]

I started right up this morning! I let it run for 10 minutes on idle. Then I drive it forward about 100-200 feet, put it in reverse and it would go but very hard, like something is holding it. I then came backwards those 100-200 feet (back to my garage) and the engine shut off!?!?!?!?!?! I don't understand why?

I looked at my tranny fluid level (dipstick) and it was at the very bottom (hardly any oil). But I put a gallon in there before. The engine oil level is way high above the maximum. I don't know why this is and if that is causing the stall and not start again.

Someone please help!?

Old 04-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL It's got a demon in it. Call the local pastor to get it exorcised!

Sorry for laughing at your situation, but there are some serious and VERY random issues with that truck... Something got messed up and good at some point.

Was the thing ever running good? If so, what EXACTLY did you do between the last time you had it running right and now (EVERYTHING that you did!)?

Well, thought I'd add this. If your oil is over full, drain it out and fill it back up with the proper amount of oil. Fill your trans up to the proper level and then monitor the levels if you can get it running.

This may be a stupid question, but you did dump the tranny fluid into the trans dip-stick tube right?... Not into the valve cover on the engine...

And when you say that it backed up hard, does this mean that you had to give it a lot of gas to get it to back up? or does it mean that it was sluggish and the engine was having trouble getting it to move?

Old 04-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Starting Member

Yeah I had to give it a lot of gas to get it moving backwards. I bought the truck without an engine and put a 2000 engine and tranny in it. The engine is fine. The pump doesn't want to work right, I don't know if that is computer that is causing that or the pump is dead. Is there any way to reset the computer and its codes?

Thanks for reply

Old 04-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

see your other thread for my reply.

Also, you didn't happen to notice if your parking brake was on did you? Some parking brake designs hold harder in reverse than they do in forward if they are not fully applied. You may have pushed down on the parking brake when doing the other work and not noticed it.

Quick Reply: Where is the fuel pump relay?