2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where is my coolant going ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Where is my coolant going ???

Yeah I had just changed the oil about 2 weeks before I saw I had an intake manigold gasket go. Just make sure you change the oil again after fixing the intake gasket, so that you get that antifreeze out of the oil.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

WARNING: Long post!

UPDATE: The gaskets have been changed.

This is really not that bad of a job, although I did screw up the timing (don't exactly know how since I did NOT move the crank and I painted marks on the distributor BEFORE I removed it, but once I had it back together, she would not start. I had the distributor out at least 8 times until I finally got her all re-aligned correctly). Anyway, excluding the timing mistake time, this job took about 8 hours of not hurried time. The dis-assembly was pretty easy, just keep track of all your fasteners (I always place them back on their respective studs or back into the holes they came out of, if possible and they won't be in the way). Kyle's link to the INSTRUCTIONS are invaluable. Print those out for future reference!!!!

I spent a good deal of time cleaning the mating surfaces (block and intake) and getting as much gunk and smutch out of the engine. You'll know smutch when you see it so I don't need to describe it any further.

VERY IMPORTANT, cover the valve train hole (with intake removed) with a good rag (a cloth baby diaper is the perfect size, after 3 kids I have a few of them left over, best rags in the whole world IMHO). Take your time on the cleaning part. It will pay dividends later. The gasket kit included manifold gaskets with plastic frames and O-ring style seals (FelPro) and a small tube of black RTV. I had bought GREY RTV at AutoZone which specifically says it can be used for manifold end seals. I used the GREY stuff. Re-assembly was pretty straightforward, nothing eventful to report, other than getting the distributor back in the right spot, despite the painted marks. The back nut behind the steering pump was a bit tricky to loosen and re-tighten. You need just the right length socket to fit in there and I didn't have it. I managed with an open end and a box end.

The funniest part of the whole project was draining the engine block through the oil pan hole. I placed a catch pan under the hole and removed the bolt. I'd say almost 2 gallons of a pukish green gelatinous goo (a homogenous mixture of oil, water, coolant and dye) drained from the pan. It was disgusting. I poured that mixture into a 5 gallon plastic bucket lined with a couple plastic bags and filled the bucket with sawdust and kitty litter. I ended up with a greenish block of what looked like green, wet concrete. I changed the filter too. The green goo was throughout the engine.

Here is where I need to consider that BEARING failure could be in my future. I hope not, but I can't dodge reality. The bearings were swimming in this mixture for a few days. I added 3 quarts of fresh oil and 2 quarts of white kerosene. I'll run this mixture for a 100 miles or so and change the oil again. I'll change the oil AGAIN after another 500 miles. My goal will be to flush the engine and keep those bearings swimming in fresh oil at all times. We'll see how she holds up.

After getting the distributor (thus the timing) right....The Blazer is ALIVE and running well again. She has lots of power and the water/coolant level is holding steady now. I took her for a test drive on the highway and she was happy to run. There are no leaks to report. I did notice that the oil guage fluctuates with engine speed now, or will hold steady at 40 psi at idle. My heat works again too. Big bonus as Fall and Winter (sighhhhhh) are approaching. Also, one final note, the jet engine roaring sound is greatly diminished. Could it have been the bearings that were roaring???

I'll report the Blazer's health as she gets additional miles under her (105K + now).

All in all, not too bad of a project. My calf muscles are killing me though, as bending over the engine

Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, glad the job worked out OK for you. Eight hours is a lot of work on a car. Since you have quite a bit of sludge and gunk inside the engine from the antfreeze, I recommend getting some of this http://www.auto-rx.com/and follow the instructions carefully to thoroughly clean out the engine.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it done!! I did mine over the course of a week made possible by having another vehicle to drive which I no longer have...

Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, I wish I had a week. My 16 year old son, who now drives the Blazer almost exclusively, was hovering every so often asking, "Is it done yet"? Lot of help he was. He showed a mild interest in knowing what I was doing but couldn't quite come to actually putting a wrench in his hand. I offered, he declined. I don't know if it's timidity or just plain scared about not knowing what to do. Never stopped me from taking something apart before though.

This younger generation is going to be hurtin' in the future if they don't start showing an interest in getting their hands dirty. Not everybody of course, but more and more young ones want to push computer keys instead of wrenches. It's a shame, really. I was perfectly willing to teach, but he had "other" things to do (girlfriend...go figure). I'm getting off my soapbox, NOW.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: junkmonkey
I was perfectly willing to teach, but he had "other" things to do (girlfriend...go figure).
Think back. When you're 16 there's NOTHING more important.