2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
blazer chris is on a distinguished road

I worked for several gm dealerships as a used car manager , i never saw so many bad gaskets in my life ! I would tell people not to use it ! we used to tell people to flush it often just like the green coolant ! I believe gm knows how to make a gasket by now ,dont you think?has to be something not agreeing with the chemicals !! I replaced 2 intake gaskets on my wifes grand am IT ONLY HAD 54K ON IT ! just switch over -dont take chances ,gm doesnt care about you !!! I worked for a big dealership i know!!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member
CodFos is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on the individual vehicle or the batch of dexcool, or maybe how the vehicle was taken care of. Ive had a 97 jimmy, a 98 blazer and my dad has a 98 Silverado and we haven't ever had any problems with sludge or corrosion of any kind. i have an Uncle who manages a garage and I brought it up with him and he said that it really doesn't matter what kind of coolant you use, you can still get the same corrosion if you don't maintain it properly. He said he sees just as many non-dexcool problems as he does dexcool problems when it comes down to problems with the coolant system.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CodFos
I think it depends on the individual vehicle or the batch of dexcool, or maybe how the vehicle was taken care of. Ive had a 97 jimmy, a 98 blazer and my dad has a 98 Silverado and we haven't ever had any problems with sludge or corrosion of any kind. i have an Uncle who manages a garage and I brought it up with him and he said that it really doesn't matter what kind of coolant you use, you can still get the same corrosion if you don't maintain it properly. He said he sees just as many non-dexcool problems as he does dexcool problems when it comes down to problems with the coolant system.
TRUTH!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

x2!! I'm so tired of this. Somebody please submit the myth to 'Mythbusters' for busting.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if Zerex green is being sold at any of the Walmart or advance auto or autozone yet? also i heard Walmart has some pinkish type of antifreeze there now, but im not sure of the brand, does anyone know anything about it? is it any good ???

Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only place I have seen Zerex around me is Napa.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I recently purchased a 2000 GMC Jimmy with about 80K and not knowing complete history I had the local dealership do a coolling system flush and went back with DEX-COOL. The system looked good prior and after the flush. I am netural on the whole debate. Proper level and maintenance goes a long way to keeping any vehical running. I.E. My 1989 GMC Jimmy with 412K on the body and 98K on the GM rebuilt engine.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm running Dex-cool right now in mine...no issues what so ever.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I hate to restart this thread but I found out that dexcool never was a problem. It was the gaskets GM used. They had nylon around the coolant ports. If you didnt know nylon absorbs water. Therefore even switching to a different coolant you will still have a problem. Ill try to find the website that list the told what year range for each car was affected. I know blazers from 95 to 2000 are along with almost every vehicle in that year range give or take a few years. I also learned that the intake gaskets in theses vehicles will fail. Theres no getting around it no matter how often you do a coolant flush. Its just a matter of when it will fail. Some do within a few years some may last much longer. The only way to avoid it would be to replace the intake gaskets with the updated ones. You can also get some cash back if you have paperwork for a repair that was done due to this problem.

Here is a link that has the vehicles affected along with If you qualified for a refund http://www.topclassactions.com/close...engine-coolant

Last edited by NVANZEE; 11-23-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:48 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

ok i found out what that pinkish antifreeze at Walmart is. its for RV's or vacation homes ,or any other stationary object that you dont want the pipes to freeze on. it cannot not be used in vehicles... anyway i was also at advance auto parts today and found Peak brand antifreeze and it said "the original green formula" on the gallon. Part No. PKA0G3/12016
does anyone know if this is the good safe antifreeze to use? is it like the original formula like in the old days???

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL