2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

How many times do I have to say this. NO WHERE does it say that DEXCOOL is 'warrantied' to be used for 5years/150,000 miles. Show me in your owners manual or any official website/literature that states that Dexcool is warrantied at all. Its best case scenario service interval is 5years or 100,000 miles for the vehicles which first came equiped with it and 5years or 150,000 miles for later vehicles.

The recommended service intervals on most fluids is much shorter than the best case scenario service intervals simply due to different conditions a vehicle is used in. Drive in dusty conditions a lot, you have to change your air filter and oil more often. Tow a lot, you have to change your transmission fluid more often. Varying conditions alone can cause excessive stress on these things, shortening their life. If you ignored the level of your oil over 15,000 miles using Mobil 1 Extended Life Synthetic, would you sue Mobil 1 when you seized your engine due to lack of oil?

I just did a cooling system service on my Bravada last weekend. It's a 2000 Bravada with ~80k miles on it. NEVER has the cooling system been serviced in the life of the vehicle. NO sludge, NO buildup, NO problems of ANY kind. I guess I just have a fluke vehicle. Or is it that any vehicle with problems is a fluke vehicle (given the miniscule percentage of vehicles that actually have problems).

Please...

And no, I'm not an GM Tech. I just choose to take the proponent side of this discussion because of the number of people willing to blindly bash a product based solely on their opinion and little to no facts.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:19 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

[sm=owned.gif]

Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who want's the Death Cool from my wife's 2005 chevy, I'm giving it away free. Just pay the shipping and I'll send it to ya, Only 12,000 Babied miles on the stuff. You Death Cool lovers will easily get another 20k to 30k on this wonderful stuff. I will even strain the red sand pebbles out of it before It's sent out to you.

[:@]

[sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 07-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Babied or not, a simple failed gasket or radiator cap can cause this. Manufacturing defects do exist. But no, you blame it on the coolant. You, ONE in HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of owners of dexcool equiped vehicles. I love it...

*EDIT* - let me clarify that last sentance. I don't love the fact that some of you are having troubles, I love how insignificant (statistically speaking) your troubles are.

The simple truth of the matter is that something as simple as a defective 'out of the box' radiator cap can cause the sludge problem due to the allowance of air to enter the system. Air that should not be there. Can happen to new or old vehicles. The fact that such a low occurance has been noted (less than one tenth of a percent of the total number of dexcool equiped vehicles) goes along with the manufacturing defect train of thought. Sucks that you got dinged by so many of them, but the facts don't lie. Change to whatever you like. Crap happens and that's life.

Now your wife's car is covered under a warranty and by all rights, should be fixed completely under the terms of the warranty. And you get to drive around in a nice loaner for the week (or whatever).

Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to defend your beloved DexCool to me, I truely belive that you love it. And that's your opinion. However you have to ask your self one question,

When was the last time GREEN ANTIFREEZE had a CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE AGAINST IT ???
Ask or call any radiator shop about Death Cool, I'll bet it's making them all rich............

Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Where has that class action lawsuit gone? All I've read was that it was being compiled, but that information is 2+ years old. That was all I could find... Was there a settlement? Was there anything done with this? Did it actually make class action status? I think I asked about this earlier in this thread with NO answer. Please fill in the blanks...

I don't love anything. Let me say it again, I'm playing the advocate for Dexcool in this discussion. You're the one that so vehemently HATES the stuff.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:49 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Dino55, I had a flush done by a shop and they got alot of crap out from the heater core. (around 80,xxx miles.) If there were any sign of core failure, rad failure, or any thing like that, I would be be right with ya on being displeased w/ dexcool.

I've read other folks misfortunes on the web as well. I went ahead and had them dump Dexcool/deathkill back in there. On the way home I picked up a new T stat, & rad cap. At home I installed them and purged the cooling system. heater blows like a hooker on a sailer on R &R. It's too bad it didn't work out for ya.

cheers

Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

ive never heard anything good about dexcool...

Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: lunatic_magnet

ive never heard anything good about dexcool...
Did you read anything in this thread?

The simple fact is you will ALWAYS here the bad things and very rarely do you hear someone speak about something if it hasn't caused a problem. Hence my stance in this discussion. Someone has to do it.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I look at this way. For a class action lawsuit to have any merit.... they would need to have independant labratory testing to back up their claims.

the truth will come out. It could be dex-cool interacts with a certain element, or not. Is the entire product bad...... I look at it this way. I have never owned a vehicle with it, but, if it was as bad as it was, and caused as much havoc as everyone claims it does, GM would not have continued to use the product for as long as they have. The damage caused and repairs would have put a huge dent in there profit, and as we all know, Corporations hate not making tons and tons of money.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL