2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Late, but heres my 2 cents. I've been driving my 98 jimmy for 1.5 years now, dex-cool equiped. I have had problems with my cooling system, but its prolly my own stupid fault. This summer my res. was low so i was like whatever, ill just get a flush in a few weeks. Low and behold, on my way to work (on the highway) I start to smell fish, get out and see coolant running down my passenger side mudflap. Sweet, heater core took a crap and blew a white mist all over the inside of my windshield, sweet again, now i cant see! $900 later I have a heater core installed.

Now when I got the flush done I noticed I had some "floaties" in the res, before the flush of course. The dude at Midas also said I have a bad rad cap so I got that changed too, and went with the red stuff again [:-]

It's not that I have anything against it, but something like a bad rad cap can really kick ya in the nuts, If the red stuff was significantly better, i could see the added hassel as necessary........but i bet ya $10 dex-cool was the culprit to my core failure.
I will continue to use dex-cool in my 4.3 unless more problems arise, but i dont see it happening anytime soon.

sorry for the ramble and vent

Old 10-13-2006, 05:01 PM
slammins15 is an unknown quantity at this point

x

Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I figured I'd bump this thread to the top seeing as how many new members don't know it exists.

While I'm at it, I'll reiterate some questions I have posed to those that are dead set against Dexcool. What has been the outcome of any Dexcool class action law suits? Show me ONE reputable source that states Dexcool turns into acid.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:10 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kyle, I thought this thread was dead and gone, Thank's for bringing the dead back to life, Again...
I belive this is your Quote from a recent "Intake Manifold Thread?" And I think we can finally agree on the Prestone all makes...
Dino...

"As for your temperature hunting around like that, you may have air in your system. If you do, it needs to be removed and fast. Dexcool is a great coolant, but it doesn't coat the internal passages like the ethylene glycol (green stuff) does. As a result, air that may become trapped in the system is allowed to oxidize the metal it is in contact with, creating the sludge that has given Dexcool its bad rep. I have found that the new Prestone All Makes, All Models extended life antifreeze ('big yellow') to be excellent and with the same extended life properties of Dexcool, without the down side of air issues, it is a no-brainer".

Old 12-27-2006, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad this was brought back up.
I just flushed my '00 with 130,000 miles on it 2 weeks ago. Original Dexcool. I replaced nothing and put Dexcool back in it.

Some one hintedthat the dealer is getting rich off the repair work fromDexcool.
And what is the service life of the green stuff?
With the green stuff you have more frequent serviceing (flushes), and more frequent repairs, replacement of parts.

Every vehicle I have owned that came with the green stuff, I have replaced the water pump around the 100,000 mile mark. Every one. That includes GM and Ford. How long does a DexCool water pump live? So far 130,000 miles. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones? Could be, I am still on the original ball joints too. OR maybe I maintain my vehicles regularly.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:56 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice Hanr.....My 1997 just hit 131,000 last week and the original water pump started leaking out the weep hole. The dex-cool that I took out of it was still like new. I topped off the original dex-cool 2 years and 31,000 miles ago when I replaced the radiator due to an accident. It was 8 years old with 100,000 miles on itand the original stuff was still bright orange and very clear. Of course I filled it back up with dex-cool and didn't replace anything but the water pump this time....I think it'll be good for another 130,000...just as long as I KEEP IT TOPPED OFF.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the nail on the head right there. I think I have mentioned it before by saying that proper maintenance is key to anything, and this includes dex-cool. I would say that most of the issues related to dex-cool are closely paired with lack of maintenance.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Task is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

My buds '99 Blazer LS had a problem w/ Dexcool.
He kept the overfill bottle topped off and the fluid was always up to the rad cap according to him.

It ate the core.

Before he took it in to get fixed, We had the engine warmed up, and I slowly turned the purge valve on the elbow above the T stat and out came alot of air. (then came out dexcool.)

I think the core had an air pocket and the coolant contributed to it's death.

Was Dexcool used for low maint/longetivity? Kind of like platinum spark plugs?

I don't know but according to a local shop grease monkey there was alot of guck in my core when I had it flushed last Feb.

It's up to you juscarter, if you want Dexcool or the regular sweet stuff put back in. Just purge it out if you can.
Yup, it doesn't take a genius to track this one to the "rotten smell' ,or so you would think...some peoples kids...eh

Just compare effected part sales at your local parts warehouse if you can, or a local shop even. The before and after #'s are staggering.

No one had these types of problems with the green stuff.

My buddy works for ADW, who were exclusively GM/AC Delco and he was warning me (because I had just bought mine) of the huge amount of related parts flying out to the dealerships.

And now crane manufacturers like Manitowoc, Liebherr, Krupp, Demag & Grove, along with alot of the "dirt equipment" manufacturers including Ford and many others have sent out maintenance restrictions.

The construction equipment industry is or has turned there collective back on the product.

Don't let 'em fool ya brother, some people can't take opposing opinion for whatever reason.

Sorry for squeezing you in here with these mugs, had to have my say BTL.

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Get the facts straight before spewing FUD.
Say’s you

GM also has been known for weak connection points where the different sections of the core come together. Dexcool DOES NOT eat gaskets or metals, PERIOD.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html LMAO

Any further discussion on the topic of Dexcool being harmful will be removed from this thread.
This doesn’t surprise me from a forum bully, lol And you’ll get me banned too, just to return under a different IP and Name…lol

ORIGINAL:
swartlkkThere is a thread already started that lays out ALL of the facts as well as dispells most all of the FUD everyone and their brother has been brought to believe as fact.
I noticed your the minister of propaganda over there….lol

ORIGINAL:
Had a bad experience with it, take it up in the Dexcool….
Some of us are, it just takes a phone call. It gave many a lot of grief, frustration, and hardship.

Even by many GM certified Service Techs accounts.

ORIGINAL:
thread: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL..
Man what have you been smokin’, the guy that started that thread HAD PROBLEMS !

LMAO, you getting’ a reach around from DEX-COOL or something ? Cause many Blazer owners just got the corn holing.

ORIGINAL:
Read it all before you reply with 'ignorant' comments (to coin a phrase used earlier here).
The evidence/facts weigh in my and many others favor at this point, what else ya got other than an opinion ?
Your kinda easy for a first date…lol

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

no problem man, i just do what i can to help out......

task=ownd
And you, That’s it that’s the best ya got, what are you some kinda script kiddie…lol You reminded me of Grover Dill in â

Old 12-27-2006, 08:29 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my 98 new, dealer maintenance schedule to the T, and it happened to me 9 months after purchase.
YEA RIGHT!! This statement ALONE tells me you're justpissed off at dex-cool because you didn't check it and had problems....lmao, and you probably blame the main bearing failure on valvaline or G.M.........not the fact that you drove for 35,000 miles without checking or changing the oil....right?

By the way this http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html LMAO Is just another page of opinions....just like we have here.

My buddy works for ADW, who were exclusively GM/AC Delco and he was warning me (because I had just bought mine) of the huge amount of related parts flying out to the dealerships.
First off...like you have a friend.....LOL...Second..yes they deal EXCLUSIVELY in AC DELCO parts....so what else would be flying off the shelves?

No one had these types of problems with the green stuff.
Yes water pumps, heater cores, radiators intake gaskets head gaskets and everything else that has coolant running through it has leaked since the begining of time. Cooling system problems certainly did NOT start with the introduction of dex-cool!

The evidence/facts weigh in my and many others favor at this point, what else ya got other than an opinion ?
There was a FACT somewhere in this post?......I must have missed that............LMAO!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Before I go into this, I am going to recommend that ANYONE that feels like posting here, please read through this thread in its ENTIRETY before doing so. Much has been discussed, refuted, brought back up. I will try to do a summary at some point...

Let me reiterate my position here. I do not particularly like Dexcool or the known effects of allowing air into the system. In fact, I recommend and use Prestone Yellow extended life antifreeze. I felt that this thread was started to continue the anti-Dexcool sentiments found all over the internet. I choose to be on the side of Dexcool for this discussion and found out MANY interesting facts along the way. Please do prove me wrong, that is part of a debate. Convince me that Dexcool is the route of all of these troubles and I’ll be the first person to stand up and say I was wrong.

Now. To respond to this Task character.

ORIGINAL: Task
GM also has been known for weak connection points where the different sections of the core come together. Dexcool DOES NOT eat gaskets or metals, PERIOD.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html LMAO
And what does that prove? The 3100 has more than a few TSBs on weak intake manifold gaskets and a revised gasket design has been released. Good for you! You found an article discussing just that. And the 2002 Century (also 3100 v6) in that article has a known flaw in the EGR stove pipe clearance in the plastic upper intake manifold. GM made the same mistake on the n/a 3800 series 2.

As lastcoupe has already stated, that article is full of opinions. Nothing else.
Any further discussion on the topic of Dexcool being harmful will be removed from this thread.
This doesn’t surprise me from a forum bully, lol And you’ll get me banned too, just to return under a different IP and Name…lol
Forum Bully. Yeah... Ok... I'll ignore your ignorance. Taken in context, there is nothing bully'ish about it. And I don’t have to get you banned, you’ll do that all for yourself. All it takes is a click of the mouse on my end, but I’m willing to let you stay and try to prove me wrong.
thread: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL..
Man what have you been smokin’, the guy that started that thread HAD PROBLEMS !
And your point is? Did you read any of that thread? Just because the original author had a problem that he supposedly linked to Dexcool doesn't mean that the rest of the content is any less prudent. Maybe you should take the time to read the appropriate thread before making an ill prepared post.
LMAO, you getting’ a reach around from DEX-COOL or something ? Cause many Blazer owners just got the corn holing.
Who would have thought another immature comment would spew forth.
Read it all before you reply with 'ignorant' comments (to coin a phrase used earlier here).
Where is your evidence? Where are your facts? You quote one article that I have already dispelled the FUD that was there. Here are a few facts straight from the article you quoted. Close to 40 MILLION vehicles sold with Dexcool since 1996. And how many people have come forward in ALL of these pending class action lawsuits? I’ll be generous and state 100 thousand.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL