2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

I thought this article (below) was interesting, so perhaps some of you here will too. I think that when talking about this problem it might be best to take anecdotal evidence into full consideration only with an understandingof the chemistry behind the problem. Otherwise it just gets into speculation, which while useful, is still just guessing. I mean, if there is a problem, what is the physical/chemical mechanism that causes it? Then it would be reasonable to say:if that chemical mechanism is likely to occur, then it's probably a bad idea to use that chemical. If not, then it's probably ok (barring unforseen circumstances) unless there's a better alternative. Everything has a certain amount of risk, so it's just a statisticalrationale more or less.

Oh and the article; GM maintains the chemistry behind DEX-COOL works according to spec, but admits there are design flaws in specific models engines that make circumstances that negatively affect DEX-COOL, which sounds very familiar to one of the mechanics comments earlier. If anyone has that video it mentions and there's an interesting part or parts, please postit to youtubeand link it[8D].

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...l-macs2001.htm

MACS 2001: GM and Texaco “Bare All” about DEX-COOL®
by I.M. Cool
Appeared Jan/Feb 2001 Cool Profit$ Magazine
© 2001 All Rights Reserved
As in the past, the MACS 2001 Convention and Trade Show in Orlando provided some very interesting and helpful air conditioning information. However, the sleeper presentation at this show was not about refrigerant, but—of all things—engine coolant! (Sleeper does not refer to making you sleepy; it was anything but boring.)
Marketing departments of major consumer goods manufacturers are known for their attempt to conceal even a shred of negative publicity about their products. You can’t blame them; you do the same in your business. That’s why it was refreshing to witness a candid GM/Texaco presentation about DEX-COOL coolant and its related field service problems. I give the big guys credit for even bringing up the subject because, well, let’s face it, there are not a lot of kind words being spoken about this coolant at automotive service shops today. (Especially at radiator shops.)
Left: 14-Minute GM Training Video is now available to help technicians service known cooling system contamination problems in specific GM vehicles.
GM’s Jay Dankovich and Equilon Enterprises’ (Texaco) Stede Granger directed a 2-year study of thousands of DEX-COOL cooled vehicles. Armed with the results, they really didn’t have anything bad to say about the coolant. In fact, they strongly defended the product’s reputation. What they revealed to the audience is that specific models of GM vehicles have specific cooling system contamination problems. And essentially, that DEX-COOL is not the culprit!
Their presentation started with a 14-minute video that is now being circulated to technicians at GM dealers nationwide. In the video, GM’s trainers succinctly described the problems that have been found and the corresponding corrective actions to be taken by technicians.
Suggestion. This video is a “must see” for all technicians considering themselves antifreeze/coolant experts. Without this information, your cooling system service knowledge of late model GM vehicles is severely limited. Seriously!
Fortunately, you can buy the video for only $10 (plus S&H). Call MSX International of Auburn Hills, Michigan at 800-393-4831. Ask for the DEX-COOL Video: “Understanding Radiator Cap and Cooling System Contamination.” Part number: RADCAPK. Immediately following this article is a report on this training video by John Brunner, recently retired GM field service representative.
What was said at the presentation? Besides th

Old 03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank's Kerander, Very Intresting Read.....................

DINO......................

Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 AM
WisdomRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't mean to bring up a dead topic, but I'd like to add my situation in.

I just got a 1997 GMC Jimmy which was owned since new by my uncle. It has a little under 125,000 miles on it. I couldn't tell for sure whether the coolant is from the factory or not...but what I do know is:

Water Pump went about 7 weeks ago...changed it and put in radiator cleaner to get rid of the heavy coating of brown **** in the system...ran it like that for about 500 miles when the cap detiorated quite badly (chips all around the seal)...changed it...no biggy, could be factory equipment as well. So I refilled with flush and ran it for another 400 miles until tonight when the heater core started leaking pretty badly...

Now like I said, I don't know how maintenance was regarded on this...but I do know that if the systems are neglected, they really get pissed off. I'm hoping after I replace this heater core I'll be over this reliability hump, but we'll find out in about a week when I drive from OC to Vegas, then back, then to Mexico, then back again, then to Colorado and back. hahah I love my Senior year summer I just hope I don't run into any more problems with this beast. I'm trying to catch up on all the neglected stuff from the past few years and boy is it expensive!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think that a chemical flush on a 10 year & 125k mile old vehicle is an iffy thing at best. The heater cores on these trucks are known to not be all that strong so to make it this long... Whenever a cooling system is opened up for work, I would recommend that you change the thermostat and the radiator cap. They're both cheap and if either of them fail...

And no problem digging up an old thread like this. Some of these debates just shouldn't die.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Normal anti-freeze is a cooler color.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

you saying green is cooler than red!?!?!?

dont make me start debating ur a** lol! j/p

Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know... I've always been a fan of Tang! HAHA!!

Green just reminds me of the stuff that comes out of a glow stick when you break it open!

Now if they made grape antifreeze I'd be all over it!!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Glowsticks are very flamable, after they're done glowing...

Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: drperry

Glowsticks are very flamable, after they're done glowing...
Really! Hmm... I think they just got more fun!!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran

lol

We tried burning a glow stick that wasn't cracked yet, and it didn't light...

That's what we need! Glowing coolant, so it's easier to find a leak! lol

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL