2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

ORIGINAL: drperry

lol

We tried burning a glow stick that wasn't cracked yet, and it didn't light...

That's what we need! Glowing coolant, so it's easier to find a leak! lol
Actually green coolant flouresses (sp?) when put under a black light. Doesnt glow a huge amount but it definately glows.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I know, but I mean, just plain glows, all on it's own!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:55 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you coulddilute uranium in there if ya felt like it i guess? Course then your block, truck,and you would probably be glowing too, LOL.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartlkk (Kyle) said: "Below are the pages from a '96 Owners Manual that I downloaded from MyGMLink.com about the service interval of the cooling system. I hope that one of our members with a '96 still has his/her owner's manual and if possible can scan these pages in for us. I would like to see if they made any changes."

Kyle, I own a '96 Blazer. I will compare your pages to the ones in my manual and let you know.

Raphael

Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Ted
Beginning Member
Ted is an unknown quantity at this point

Wisdomracing said:
Water Pump went about 7 weeks ago...changed it and put in radiator cleaner to get rid of the heavy coating of brown **** in the system...ran it like that for about 500 miles when the cap detiorated quite badly (chips all around the seal)..

I'm curious as to how long the instructions said to leave the cleanerin. Most say something like 10 minutes or half an hour. It sounds like you're saying it ate up the rad cap in that 500 miles. It probably didn't do good things to other components.

I think most of the problems are from people never checking or changing their coolant (heck, they don't check or change their oil!) and GM trying to lighten and cheapen the other components that come in contact with Dexcool. Plastic intake manifolds, anyone?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

While dexcool has a sweet twang with a rich aroma, Prestone has rich full bodied flavor with a hint of citrus.
Prestone>Dexcool

Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 PM
skyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

rofl! I love this thread already

IMHO, i hate the stuff... I have seen the major corrsion issues with Dex-Cool in my radiator... I have have had needed MAJOR cooling systems repair including a new radiator, thermostat and tranny cooler. That stuff corrodes aluminum over a period of time!

I stick with 60-40 Prestone/water and it hasn't failed me since i have been using it now

Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, of all of the issues that Dexcool has, it's major short coming is much more evident when used in iron block/head applications. I have seen no corrosion issues in any all aluminum engine vehicles. All of the vehicles that have ever been mentioned in any class action suit have been cast iron blocks. The brown mess that results from air entrapment is due to iron rust. Aluminum corrosion is not brown.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
AL
Beginning Member
AL is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree with you,i had a 1996 astro van since new,and sold it a couple of months ago,and never had a problem .I changed the coolant every 5 years

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Dex-Cool was used instead of the green stuff, because the green stuff corrodes/eats aluminum if left in there too long... I think that's the reason why GM started using it... Dex-Cool may still corrode aluminum, but it takes a LOT longer before it does, if it does it at all...

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL