2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Why did my transmission get soft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
comandoed is on a distinguished road
Default Why did my transmission get soft?

I changed thetransmission pan gasket and filter on my 2000 4wd Blazer
and 4 quarts of trans oil. After I did so, the truck would not move in either Reverse or Drive for about 10 minutes. Finally the trans started to engage and I was able to drive it but it has hardly any power. Trans
seems soft. I got to hold gas pedal down longer to achieve same power.

I used Autozone ATF fluid. It says on it for Ford and Gm. That was the only one available.

Whats wrong and how can I correct it?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

When I changed the tranny fluid in my first gen (fluid in the pan and the filter) it took about 5 quarts, I started out with 5, went through all the gears, checked it and added as needed.
Also, you didnt pinch any wires between the pan and the tranny when putting the pan back on did you?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Im not exactly sure how much it should hold but if you have to little in there then it wont want to go into gear but if you have to much in it will be sluggish.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Did some searching up, the 4L60E takes about 5-6 quarts like I thought, so start with adding another one, check the level and drive it around, see if it fixes the problem.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

4L60E uses DexronIII fluid. Better check the label on the Autozone container.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
4L60E uses DexronIII fluid. Better check the label on the Autozone container.
I thought guy at Autozone said Dexron II. Assuming that I used the wrong fluid, how do I correct it? Can I easily drain the fluid and then
fill it up with correct one?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

You bought what equals the old Dexron III standard. 5-6 quarts are needed as noted but the dip stick will tell the tale on where the level is low, just right or high.

We have automatics from 1992 though 2003 and now we do the bucket flushes using WM Dexron VI ATF only.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gale
You bought what equals the old Dexron III standard. 5-6 quarts are needed as noted but the dip stick will tell the tale on where the level is low, just right or high.

We have automatics from 1992 though 2003 and now we do the bucket flushes using WM Dexron VI ATF only.

What is the proper way to check fluid level on 2000 Blazer.
On a Honda I had the engine had to be off.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
ABSLT is on a distinguished road

Check it hot idling on a level surface in, park or neutral. fluid should be around 180 degrees to check on the hot level

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I got the same problem, except the truck goes into gear fine, but drives funny. Was your fluid black when you changed it? If so, you might have a bigger problem. Did you replace the seal on the trans filter? If so, the filter might not be fitting in properly and the pump is sucking air and not allowing it to engage. With it only locking in after a few minutes, that seal could be swelling when it warms up, allowing it to work. Also, check your electrical connections at the PCM and the trans.

4L60E uses DEXRON III from the factory and GM recommends using DEXRON VI as of 2007. I have never seen DEXRON II in any store, so they probably don't make it anymore or at least don't sell it in the stores. Multivehicle ATF that says GM (like with MAXLIFE, it says DEX/MERC), is usually for GM transmissions that use DEXRON III. GM licenses DEXRON VI and won't let anyone say their fluid is compatible with DEXRON VI unless it is licensed. MAXLIFE is compatible with DEX VI, but they are required to refrain from stating it on the front of the bottle as DEXRON VI because it isn't licensed. Valvoline says you can use it for DEXRON VI, but GM would void the warranty because it isn't a licensed DEXRON VI fluid.

I just changed the fluid (I didn't drop the pan. I have a drain plug and a deep pan. Filter was changed last year.) with Valvoline MAXLIFE as usual (the bottle says it complies with DEXRON VI specs as well as DEXRON III) and now not only is the truck slow to accelerate, but it shifts weird and late. I am pretty sure the fluid is overfilled, but wouldn't it just come out the overflow? This trans runs pretty cool since it has a transmission cooler. I could touch the bottom of it and unless I was just on hills, it is only warm, not hot.

Quick Reply: Why did my transmission get soft?